cissy strut

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Blunk, Dec 3, 2002.

1. Blunk

Aug 14, 2002

i've having trouble working out what the bass line is for this song - the high pitched guitar is driving me crazy i've been listening to the song for awhile, now
    if anyone has the tab could you give me the link?

thanks a million
  2. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I can write it out in notation for you if you want.

Can you read?
  3. it's simpler than you think...he's basically doing what the guitar is least in the version I've got, on Funkify your Life
  4. Blunk

Aug 14, 2002
    Jazzbo, if you wouldn't mind i'd appreciate the notation, i'm in the process of learning how to read properly (music i mean!).

thanks alot
  5. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Here's the verse.

See if you can get the chorus on your own, if not I'll give you some help.

6. attachment link broken... :crying:
  7. Ryan OD

Ryan OD

Nov 3, 2003
    Northern VA

I'm in my office without a bass, so this could very easily be inaccurate. Hopefully it will at least give you a start.

Edit: Okay, I think it may actually be this one. Sorry, I suck at trying to recall a line without a bass in hand.

8. I think its something like this

Hehe, wonder if the original poster is still interested.

Anyway, I already figured out how to play the original version, just wanted to cross check with Jazzbo's version. :D
  9. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI

10. this is the way i play it. i HATE open strings~
  11. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    The chorus is wrong. Check out the one I posted at (Remember, The Meters were the first ones to do Cissy Strut).

The chorus is:

G| 5-3-5-3-5-3-------5-3-5-3-(0?)-------

The standard thing to play during the solo section if you don't want to add lib is:

A|-----3-3---3-1-------1-3-3 (repeat)

Then go up a fourth if you're doing that.
  12. hey, was just wondering, which scale/mode that we can play for this cissy strut song?

I know that the melodies are played in Minor Pentatonic, but what other notes that we can add to make the bass line more interesting?

And this question extends to also how do we know what mode is a song, if we can't determine it solely based on the melody/chords played?
  13. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Scofield's version does something cool during the "B" section-
    It modulates down a minor 3rd...start the phrase on the "Ab" at the 6th fret.

Something else that works-
    The "Eb" in Bar_1 'can' be played by bending the the "D" on the 10th fret/E-string.
  14. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    The solo section is in C7#9.
  15. Scofield have a version of the Cissy Strut??
    Or issit the Chicken tune u are talking about?
  16. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...Sco's version is on Flat Out.
  17. Let me see if I got this correct:

notes in C Major:
    C D E F G A B

notes in C Minor Pentatonic
    C Eb F G Bb

notes in C7#9:
    C D Eb E F G A Bb

Seems that all the minor pentatonic scales are in C7#9, so how do we determine if this piece is in minor pentatonic or C7#9??

All minor pentatonic scales are also in the C minor scale, right? So does it mean that both C minor scale and C7#9 can be used? Just that everyone (bass and guitar) have to decide on the same scales to jam over?

Thanks a lot in advance.
  18. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    No "Eb".
    It's a "D#".

"D" is the 9th.
    ...a RAISED "D" = "D#"

"Eb" implies a LOWERED 3rd(or 10th).

Yes, they're enharmonic. Yes, I once argued with my college prof for about an hour over this concept before the light bulb clicked.

BTW, the C7#9 is what is played to the intro to AWB's "Pick Up The Pieces".
    ROOT ="C" is played 10th fret/D-string
    3rd = "E" is played 0th fret/G-string
    b7= "Bb" is played 11th fret/B-string
    #9= "D#" is played 11th fret/(high)E-string
  19. I realized that C Minor Pentatonic is actually not a chord (which can be put on a chord chart), while C Minor and C7#9 is.

If we were to look (listen) at just the 2 verses of the Cissy Strut song, would you think that its in C Minor or C7#9? Without listening to the solo that anyone else have done.

p/s: should I start a new thread for this in GI? to get more discussion?