Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Civilization IV

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Knavery, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Hey all you computer gamers,
    Have any of you purchased Civ IV as of yet? It recieved pretty awesome reviews, and I was thinking of picking it up. It's Q4 time for PC games, and there's a lot out there to choose from.

I've also thought about Age of Empires 3, but that got lackluster reviews, and I'm not sure if I'll purchase it.

2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I still haven't spent much time with Civ III yet, but I look forward to getting it sooner or later. I don't play too many PC games, but the Civilization games have been great from the beginning.

3. I've been wanting to try that as so many people say it's great, but I just bought Age3 and don't want to spend $100 in computer games in such a short time period.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Oh man, I want this game so bad...

CivIII has to be one of my all-time favorite games. I was able to get into III when the Gold Edition came out, so I got all the goodies right away. If I buy IV now, I know I'll get suckered into buying all the upgrades as they come out. Whine.

With the holidays coming up, though, I'll probably have to wait until late Jan/Feb to purchase it. But considering the amount of time and love that I have put into III, I know it's only a matter of time before I pick up the new game.

If anyone does have it, let me know what you think about the switch from sprite based graphics to 3D, and if it helps or hinders the game play.

5. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    How is Age3? I've also been thinking about that as well. I hear it's much the same as Age2, and that I didn't get into all that much.

6. I like it alot, but it is indeed too similar to Age2. It does however look much better and has many improvements. I cannot compare it to Civ4 at all because I have not played it.

7. I love Civ 2 and wanted to try Civ 3, but I'm not a bit computer game player anymore. I'm going to have to check out Civ 4 though!

8. Yeah, Age III is just like part II with a few new additions. I like the "Home City" idea (you're just a small settlement, and the home city sends you supplies on occasion), but otherwise it's just part II. But I loved II, so I'll be buying III. I just have the demo right now.

9. Yea, the thing is it's not like some sequels that suck compared to the earlier games; Age3 is definitely better than Age2, but it's not that much better.

10. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Yikes... I was just browsing the boards over at www.civfanatics.com, and it looks there are a lot of issues with this first release. Maybe it's not such a bad idea that I'm not getting the game right away... :meh:

11. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Haha... I wouldn't go by what those "fanatics" say. They're that way with every release. That is a nitpicky bunch over there. I might pick up the game simply due to the new border rule. Other nations units cannot enter your borders unless you allow them or they declare war on you. That alone makes the game better IMO.

12. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I'm trying to resist this... I've wasted probably years of my life playing the first three Civ games. ;) I remember back when the first one was out... I'd get out of class and get home by 4:00PM and start playing, and before I knew it, it was two in the morning.

13. Wow, and I thought I was into games....

I kinda stopped playing once I got into music, but yeah the civilistation series is quite cool. I find age boring, warcraft 3 is much better.

14. Civ 4 feels a lot like Civ 3, endgame is still a hassle, but less than before, graphics are nice, but there's some bugs in the engine, not big ones, but nonetheless. Should be smoothed out in weeks or maybe a month or two. That said, I like it, and you should buy it if you're an avid civ player, but if you play civ 3 from time to time, there's not that much more new stuff. Imo the religion aspect is too bland. The civics(replacing the governement aspect) are nicer. It occasionally bogs down on my amd 3000 1 gig ram geforce 6600 machine, but nothing serious, and you can allways turn down some options. I did notice it was using a staggering 650 MB Ram while playing, but that's probably because I have plenty anyway.

So a lot like civ3, but a bit better and smoother, the games evolve a bit faster, so you'll be losing less sleep. I think it's a bit easier too, I never was a good player, I'm too careless for civ games most of the time, but I enjoy it anyway. It'll be plenty challenging in the higher difficulties

O and no Dutch civilization, so aoe 3 has a plus for me

15. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    They'll probably have the Dutch in an expansion, like they did last time... between Civ III Vanilla and conquests, they more than doubled the number of civs...

Question: What's the deal with governments? I thought that the number/selection in III was kind of lacking, especially when compared to the droves of govs in other games like Call to Power II.

16. well you have different areas of governement, and in each of these areas you have 5 choises, for example in the first area, dunno what it's called you have depotism, monarchy, representation, police state, and universal suffrage. much like in the last one, but then you have still 4 more areas.