1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

CL - Awesome

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by denhou1974, Apr 2, 2009.

1. denhou1974

denhou1974

Mar 6, 2008
    Bassist Wanted
    posted: March 11, 2009, 12:46 AM

We are a local 5-piece classic rock/modern rock cover band made up of Houston professionals with previous stage experience. Bass is our weak spot, and is being filled by a converted accoustic guitarrist.

For the right mix of talent, experience, and attitude we will convert from 5 to 6 and our current bass player will move to a utility role.

Sounds great...Well, there are a few considerations.

We all have carreers and will not be playing out 3 times a week. We are not in this for money.
    You will likely need to learn 4 songs per week for the next two months.
    You will need to be ready for at least a short gig in as few as three weeks.
    Be ready to play venues small and large. No wussing out on big gigs and no whining about small gigs.
    We live from Spring to Clear Lake. Practice is in Belaire. Gigs could be anywhere around Houston.

We are ages 31 to 52 but will expand the age range for the right individual.

This is stress release and fun for us. The better the music sounds the more fun we all have.

Set list available after phone interview. Auditions are Monday the 16th or earlier.

Call ***-***-****

2. Is it just me, or is there nothing much wrong with this ad (aside from a few minor spelling errors)? It says very clearly what it wants and there isn't anything ridiculous about it that I see. The audition is a little short notice (IMO) and they call themselves "professionals" when they clearly do this part time and for fun, but otherwise I think it's a pretty good ad.

3. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    +1
    I didn't see anything really weird about it.

What's the point?

4. Reading the add I think I know who it is. I sat in with them a month or so back. If it is who I think it is, they are pretty good for a startup. I sat in with them a month or so back for a practice, the setlist just wasn't my thing. If its not who I think it is... i dunno then.

5. Coolerhead94

Coolerhead94

Mar 31, 2009
    Wow...

This is the Anti-CL ad! A band that knows:

1) who and what they are
    2) where they are and where they are going
    3) What they need and who they are looking for
    4) what they expect and what to expect from them
    5) how to be realistic and have fun?

Too bad I live 1800 miles away...

6. psychotiger

psychotiger

Feb 24, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Builder: Moore Custom Guitars
    By "professionals" he means they have careers in areas other than music, not that they are professional musicians. I know a lot of folks like this. Many doctor buddies of mine play in bands and due to heavy work schedules only play out occasionally.

7. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    +1

Actually, this sounds a lot like my band.

Also, I think that "professionals" in this context may mean professional bankers, lawyers, engineers etc.

8. That was my take on it when I read it too.

9. Anthbass

Anthbass

Jul 24, 2006
    Canada
    I too, see nothing wrong with this add. It appears to show that the intent was indeed on being a career professional rather than a professional musician, hence the 'previous stage experience' comment that follows.
    Sounds like a potentially good gig for someone wanting casual situation.

10. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    Yeah, it's awesome in the true sense: it's descriptive, short and to the point.

I responded to such an ad yesterday. Such a pleasure.

11. Howlin' Hanson

Howlin' Hanson Lighter cabs, please. Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Austin TX
    +1 to all above comments.

While this "situation" wouldn't have appeal to the guys who want to do music full-time, or who don't wish to do classic rock/modern rock covers, at least those readers know to look elsewhere. For other readers, this could be an ideal situation.

12. Are you SURE this was in Craigs List??

13. denhou1974

denhou1974

Mar 6, 2008
    Where is the implication that the ad was supposed to be weird or something wrong??

I posted the ad. I wanted comments on it. Simple really.

14. Looks good to me. If I was in their area and looking to play that kind of music, I would have probably responded. I like how they laid out what they were looking for without being heavy handed or coming off like a bunch of egomaniacs.