1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

CL- Bandmates with Intellegence Required

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Disappear, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Disappear

Disappear

May 9, 2008
    Fail from just reading the title.

Ten thousand ads in a never-ending sea of ads, so what makes this one different?
    2 musicians, one bass, one lead/rhythm. Pro gear, state of the art transportation, experience, zero attitudes.
    Styles, far too many to list. What do we want to do? Simple, make money playing local bars doing covers, in what style you ask? That’s to be determined, metal, rock, alternative, etc, we have ideas, you have ideas, and can we get onto the same page.
    So what do we need? Vocal/rhythm/lead player and drums, in any combination. Now I’ve read enough of these ads to spot which musician belonged to which band, which tells me poor attitude is still rampant in the big smoke. So if you’ve had enough and are willing to maybe try something apart. Here’s where we come in.
    It’s time for a refreshing change, you bring a no nonsense demeanor, with semi pro gear and transportation. You know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that you’re NOT going to be a rock star. So you’re required to leave all previous baggage at the door. That’s the ‘In my last band……” crap. Along with preconceived notions of what you will and will not do. Translation: you have an open mind. And yes, I understand that not everything appeals to everyone. My example is I will not do ‘Zeppelin’ even at gunpoint.
    Age and gender, although a factor, can be overlooked if your playing burns holes in walls, well, welcome aboard.
    Does this sound like you? Do you honestly get it? Had enough of the B.S? Is your IQ greater then your shoe size? Well what are you sitting there waiting for? Type out that link and let’s get started.
    alphastrike2 at rogers.com.
    Sorry that you’ll have to retype it with the proper symbol, but I’m not getting overrun with spam cuz of some spyder, thanks.

‘We’ve had all we can stands we can’t stands no more’
    Popeye

2. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    I'd pop him in the eye.

Whitespace, please.

3. Howlin' Hanson

Howlin' Hanson Lighter cabs, please. Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Austin TX
    Hmm. Wants bandmates with intelligence, but won't play Zeppelin. I don't get that.

4. Band Dad

Band Dad

Dec 5, 2006
    San Mateo, CA
    Sounds cool to me. It is refreshing in my view. Perspective, perhaps? The way one reads the post?
    Read into it arrogance and you may miss a great chance at a good experience.
    I give it a thumbs up. Way up? I'd leave that to you.

5. Disappear

Disappear

May 9, 2008
    Stop, rewind, play

CL- Bandmates with Intellegence Required

Get it?

6. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    Intelligence required
    spelling , not so much.
    semi pro gear and transportation...***?
    Is that a behringer and a VW micro bus?

7. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I always considered it a mental Freudian slip when someone misspells a word like "intelligent," or "educated" - I think they're tipping their hand a bit here...

8. Jluckie3

Jluckie3

Mar 14, 2008
    endorsing artist Lakland basses
    ah yes state of the art transportation, i didn't realize your moms basement had an airport landing strip

9. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I bet they got one of them newfangled internally combusted engines. I don't trust them!

10. Sounds like a guy that's got alot of bar gigging under his belt and is tired of all the B.S. that generally comes with it.Sounds like an ad that I'd post,minus the state-of-the-art transportation.I don't have a Lear Jet.Then again,is an '06 Audi state-of-the-art?If so,I'm in.

11. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

First, you are assuming that the original CL poster made the typo or spelling error in 'intellegence' and not the OP in translation. Second, anyone can make a typo and it does not reflect at all on intelligence.

Sounds pretty up front to me. What you see is what you get and they have pretty well defined who they are looking for as a band mate. So where is the fail? I am sure that many of us would not fit in this scenario. If we would they would not be looking so hard; but, if I was in their locale I would be testing the waters to see what could happen because I like their attitude. It is refreshing to find people who appear to say what they mean, mean what they say and obviously have thought about it.

12. Cabazon

Cabazon

Jan 20, 2009
    Mixing up an E and I is not a typo, though. It's a misspelling.

13. I was concerned for a moment. Luckily I have very small feet. :D

14. Disappear

Disappear

May 9, 2008
    What does IQ measure anyway? It's society's way of judging you and grouping you. Bunch of crap if you ask me.

15. not true. intellegence can be easily measured with standardized testing and is pertinent to all matters of life. Intelligence, however, is a bit more mercurial.

16. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    "intellegence"? A sore point

Long ago, at the precise moment when I had reached my absolute academic zenith - when I knew I would never be any smarter or cooler -- I crapped out of the 6th grade spelling bee with that exact misspelling of that word.

Niagara Falls? Slowly I turned, step by step, inch by inch...