CL Certified Check Scam

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Wfrance3, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    I may be the last person on the planet to wise up to this, but wanted to put it out there just in case.

I put an ad in my Local Craigslist for a small pedalboard "complete". Was basically cobbled together out of some pretty good stuff, but things I don't use anymore. Was attempting to do a quick house cleaning. Was for $500, and actually a good deal in my opinion. Well, within a couple hours, someone shoots me a text, says he's from out of state and could I ship it. I said sure. So he wants to USPS overnight me a certified check that will be for pedalboard plus shipping. Gave some cockamamey excuse for why Paypal won't work for him, and he sends the check. I get it and, it's for like, almost $2G. And not a certified check. I text him back because that's way more than normal shipping. He (texts) and said that he had a few other purchases all being sent to him by the same shipper, and that I should just keep my $500 and give the shipper the rest when he shows up to pick up the item. I was skeptical, but now I'm concerned, so I check the interwebs for what might be going on here, and find:
    Cashier's Check Overpayment Scam

So. I go to my bank with the check today and they tell me that this is a common practice and is lots of the time out of Nigeria. The bank person said that it's likely from there because in the professional banking community Nigeria is known for not prosecuting these cases because they look at it as income for Nigera, and it's pretty big business.

Here's the part that is maybe unexpected. Right now Banks in the United States in a no-tolerance position on this topic. I guess I understand it's pretty rampant. The banks feel that a person that would fall for this, would likely do it again, so the policy is to close the customer's account, even tho they are the victim. They said that I should go to the post office because technically a federal crime had been committed, but they would probably be as interested in pursuing this as the bank was, which is not at all...

So, had I fallen for this, I would have been responsible for the amount of the bogus check, would have lost my bank account and had to go find a new bank. and...would have been out the pedalboard.

Hope this helps someone!!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  2. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    forewarned is forearmed. i expect you are the second-to-last to know, so hopefully your post saves someone else.

Wfrance3 likes this.
  3. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    No, I'm pretty sure he's the last LOL.

Wfrance3 and ak56 like this.
  4. dtripoli

dtripoli

Aug 15, 2010
    CA
    Craigslist rules
    Meet in public
    Only show what is for sale, nothing more
    Cash is king
    Accept no checks
    If you get the feeling a buyer is sketchy or flaky, they are 99% of the time.​

5. RobTheRiot

RobTheRiot

Aug 31, 2016
    las Vegas, nv
    Glad you checked into it (pun not intended) before being punished in addition to being the victim!
    I haven't sold much on CL but a little while back I was selling an instrument, and the first 4 responses I got were all the same as yours - out of state buyers looking to have it shipped, and paying by certified check, etc, etc...
    Pain in the butt that just trying to sell something you need to deal w/ a barrage of scammers.
    I did learn quick - don't post your phone number, just use the anonymous CL e-mail system, and it doesn't hurt to put in your post "local sale only", "no shipping" & "cash only".
    Once I did that it stopped the scams.

6. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    Good advice! Will do that going forward.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 25, 2022