1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

CL Musician Ad Busts

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by CerealKiller, Sep 18, 2010.

1. CerealKiller

CerealKiller

Jul 29, 2008
    Norfolk, VA
    Basically, I just don't understand people.

Was in a band that has partially disbanded due to the singer's pregnancy and the drummer's commitment issues. The remaining three of us haven't done squat either....

So I've responded to a few CL ads....

One was responding to an available drummer (possibly for the three of us). No response what so ever.

One group sounded right up my alley and I learned a few of the songs they were working on. After three weeks of telephone calls back and forth, never able to meet with them due to various members of the band being busy. I finally quit calling and figured they were a basement band with no real intention.

I responded to an ad last Sunday via e-mail and left my contact number. I get a response last night (Friday) via e-mail to see if I can meet @ 5 on Saturday.....no address, no phone number. I respond back roughly 15 minutes later that I can. Never heard back......

***! I'd like to believe that I'm a patient guy, but why can't people ever follow through? Is it that hard to respond (good, bad, or indifferent)?

I feel like my options are limited based on my skill level. I'm not going to be able to learn a 100 song set list, nor travel the world as the next best thing. I just want to grow as a musician through dedication and commitment.

2. patience grasshopper....the list of craig has many flakes....other posters have gone to auditions and felt that they were in danger of getting mugged for their gear.....keep working hard,answer the ads that look promising,and have someone go with to auditions,for safety sake....maybe a cl ad of your own,network with the guys at gc,jam nights,open mikes.....

3. Rocks

Rocks

Mar 9, 2009
    Willoughby, Ohio
    You never know with CL ads. I have met quite a few people from there, some I'll call musicians, others I'll call gear snobs that need lessons on how to use what they have. Luckily I did find a good band through CL and we are gigging regularly now, no plans to tour the world or cut a cd, just make music and booty's shake.

4. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    farside5.jpg
    Many of them ended up on CL...
    hang in there and keep looking. I've found 2 great bands through CL.

5. CultofJay

CultofJay

May 3, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I posted an ad on the fort wayne indiana CL earlier this year. There's a tiny music scene here that'd dominated by radio-friendly metal and country. Most of the replies I got were flakes or cover bands that didn't have a real focus (one played everything from Pink to RATT). CL a crap-shoot, man. Get back with the remaining members and hit the open mic nights for recruitment.

6. I've been in that band...did not end well.

7. panama

panama

May 26, 2009
    Detroit
    I've never had success looking for musicians using CL, but I still use it for some reason.

My current project consists of an acquaintance and someone I met through my neighbour. I've been using CL to try to fill out the band with no luck and I had been using it for months before this trying to find people to play with. Before this I used it for 6 months in another city with no luck.

99.9% of people on there are either flakes or will tell you anything you want to hear in an effort to jam. I've had people tell me their main influences in an email and when I respond with my influences they respond saying that my influences are their influences too.

In June I talked to some guy on the phone for about 20 minutes. He started off saying he wanted to sound like Gwar and Sabbath and by the end of the conversation it was The Pixies/Jawbreaker/Sonic Youth...all bands I had mentioned liking. I told him good luck with everything and he now emails me on a weekly basis calling me "D*ck" and "F*g" etc etc. Had to create a filter sending his emails straight to my trash bin.

8. I'm in the process of looking for a singer for my band. Out of every 10 people that actually respond to the ad, maybe 2 or 3 actually show up for an audition. I also got into some heated debates with a couple of idiots that didn't like the direction I wanted to take the band!!!!! If you don't like the direction, JUST DON'T REPLY!!!!!!!!!:rollno:

There are some decent people out there, you just got to be patient.

9. Used craiglist and had eventual success. I joined a working band (which I wasn't actually looking to do - just looking for a weekend garage situation) and I made a couple of "friends" that I occasionally touch base with.

I'd have to check the dates to know for sure, but my cl "ordeal" was about 6 weeks. Maybe a little longer. As has been said over and over, the flakes are there in numbers, but it absolutely can work. You're using it, and you know that you're not a flake. There are similarly situated people. You just have to connect.

I think part of it is the anonymity. Something about it makes people comfortable talking and acting at completely different levels of commitment. And it's not just anonymity...it's like being an anonymous dog in a field of tennis balls.

I actually had lined up a drummer and guitarist one day and they both pulled no shows.

10. snappytom

snappytom

Aug 17, 2005
    ChicagoLand
    On the OP's topic of no response ...... it stinks.
    Responded to a promising CL ad and got an e-mail back quickly that was even more promising, and it included a number to call and a name to arrange the audition. Called the next day and left a message ..... after a week, no response.
    Sent another e-mail asking what's up .... no response.
    A bunch of flakes. If they were to get in touch with me now I would respond but would be very careful in pursuing it.
    I have had good luck with CL in the past, been in some good bands and met a lot of cool people that I keep in touch with. But as we know it is full of dreamers and weirdos who talk a great game when in front of the keyboard but appear to never do anything further. Talk is cheap.

11. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    And CL posts are FREE.....

let the flakes out themselves and count yourself lucky that you found out so quickly.

12. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    +1.

We've just finished a lengthy search for a replacement guitarist for our project and I've gotten pretty well versed in working through the CL flakes and imposters. It takes time, persistence, and willpower. It's annoying but think of how much easier this is than a decade or two ago when all you had was word of mouth, music store fliers, and a classified ad in a local 'zine to get in contact with the right people.

13. bluewine

bluewine Inactive

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I am really right where you are, we had a great band, smokin female front talented guitarists and drummer, all good people.

We had something special we were improving and potetentially could have been one of the top originals band in town. Granted we would hae had to work harder.I don't think the other members could see the potential we had.

Anyway our lead singer lost interest in the band and just left.I was really shocked.Then the lead guitarist gave notice the next day.That really put an end to everything.

Now, I am auditioning again with CL and a local Rocks site as my only resources.

First of all you have to know what your looking for.I want an established band with one opening for a bass player, one that rocks contemporary Pop Rock (stuff like Paramore)

So for those of us expecting to walk into somthing established, it's going to be tough.

I think most of us can see the "Red Flags" in most ads.
    Multiple music genres that don't make sense. (we play BB King and STP type stuff)

"We have shows lined up" BTW, that means we don't have any shows lined up.

"We hae connections" tha means were a bunch of losers with no connections.

No Web site or Youtube presence. Looking for a drummer and bass player

There are more , the list of red flags goes on forever.

For me, I am going to start learning more good covers inside out while I'm in between bands. And I am going to be more realistic. I know what I am looking for takes time.More time than I originally thought.

And heres the 'kicker" which I have learned from TBers. The really hot opportunities are not going to show up in ads.Those bands have guys at the pro level waiting in the wings.

I saw a band I suditioned for,that rejected me listed as opening for Dokken last night.

14. CerealKiller

CerealKiller

Jul 29, 2008
    Norfolk, VA
    Thanks everyone. Guess I'm just going to have to be patient and it will eventually come.....'til then, I'll just keep hittin' the shed.

I do have some updates though....

The singer from the group that I could never get up with called me last night. Guess the guitarist and drummer flaked out, so he's looking too. Made a sincere contact, so that's something.

This morning, I saw a repost on the ad where the guy never left any contact information. Was just going to let it go, but sent a reply. I might get an explanation.......a week later.....LOL.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021