1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

CL Robberies Proliferating

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SurferJoe46, Aug 4, 2012.

1. This from San Francisco/Oakland, but it's going on in a lot more places than just that:::

This was going on in Riverside County, SoCal for a few years before I moved here last November - but everybody though I was being an alarmist.

Times are tough and the crooks are getting desperate.

2. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    That's odd how the crooks are doing things. I would figure they would do the opposite (i.e., respond to someone's ad and then rob them, perhaps of said advertised item).

3. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i always have a sniper oversee all of my business transactions.:ninja:

4. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

Jun 28, 2010
    Detroit
    That's kind of neat that the police are offering up the police station as a meeting place. I mean, if someone's not willing to meet you there, then you probably don't want to meet with them anyway seeing as they have something to hide...

5. I've used libraries, GC itself for meet-ups and in the front of fire stations where I jammed with the fire company band too.

6. Paladin54

Paladin54 Rockin' the root...

Feb 3, 2012
    Michigan
    Why? Then you have stuff you have to sell for the cash you wanted in the first place. It would make more sense to rob the guy who has cash than rob him of his car and then sell it for cash.

7. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    You would have to sell the stuff, but with the crooks current MO, they also have to assume that the person is carrying cash on them. Credit and debit cards can easily be cancelled after the robbery. Who keeps $6500 just lying around, except Scrooge McDuck?

Edit: Duh, you're right. I'm an idiot. Late on Saturday with no gig. It makes sense now. Still, that's really crazy stuff.

8. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Bringing large amounts of cash with you to check out a car or any other item where you're isolated isn't the most bright thing to do. In this day and age with all of the video technology that exists, it's easy to record a contact with no money first to check out an item and return later to close the deal.

9. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    They can also just be uncomfortable meeting at a police station. Also, large amounts of cash in some jurisdictions can be confiscated from you by the police as suspected "drug money".

http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/2007/sep/06/asset_forfeiture_aclu_sues_dea_o