1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

CL scam or real deal?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by TheFantod, Oct 10, 2010.

1. TheFantod

TheFantod #5 of the Pentaverate. Took Col. Sanders' spot.

Aug 7, 2009
    Eastern N.C.
    I'm selling bass both here & on CL. Today I got a reply to my CL that reads:
    "Still available and get back to me with pics?"

No where did he mention 'what' was still available. Although I did mention I had more pics available.

What do you folks think? Typical CL scam or someone sincere?

2. puddin tame

puddin tame

Aug 14, 2010
    I think he's trying to scam you out of some free pictures of your bass

3. stingray56funk

stingray56funk

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    typical CL scam...don't reply

4. test dude

test dude

Nov 13, 2006
    Long Island NY
    Ive gotten one twice for two different items. "hey, is the cab still availble" I respond, and then get a post back. Ok i will send you a money order blah blah, happens all the time. Don't take chances

5. itsalljustaride

itsalljustaride

Sep 23, 2009
    I always put a line in the description that says something like, "If this ad is up the item is still available." just so if people email me with that question I know they aren't worth responding to.

6. SaxBass

SaxBass Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2003
    San Diego
    Any time the responder doesn't specifically mention the item I'm selling, I delete the email. I've had many responses in the past sounding like, "Is the item still available?". I guess I'm cynical and paranoid and all that, but I've always looked at the internet, and Craigslist, as a very questionable neighborhood- you have to be smart and cautious to appreciate the area and not get scammed or mugged.

7. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

What is the harm in replying? There are a lot of people out there that don't know how to write properly. You might waste a little time with a scammer, but you might sell it too. I sold my Warwick 2 weeks after the ad ran this way.

8. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually

Dec 17, 2007
    San Diego/LA

You forgot the word "a" when you said "I'm selling _ bass". Maybe he/she forgot the word "bass". Sending pictures isn't getting scammed so the answer is that no one here in TB has any idea and you may (or may not) be ignoring a potential buyer. So many people text so the English language and emails in particular are getting grammatically eroded and abbreviated. I received a work email this morning that started "Wd u pls...." Makes me sick.

There is zero harm in replying to this guy unless your signature has your social security and the password you use for paypal.

9. i wouldn't read a lot into that....lazy typing more likely.....there are lots of things that will indicate a possible scam,like a desire for someone to come and pick it up for shipment upon receipt of a questionable mode of payment

10. SaxBass

SaxBass Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2003
    San Diego
    Yes, I know that our language has deteriorated, and many Craigslist responses I've received are not articulate. However, I'm also aware of the big business of data mining, email scraping, etc. I've tried very hard to keep my email addresses free from spam. It's getting more difficult for folks to extract email addresses through data mining, but since functioning email addresses are valuable to spammers it's possible there have been developed robo responders to email ads. Seriously, some of the responses I've received seem completely unconnected to my posted item. And I've seen any number of Craigslist posters insisting on specific words in their responses to authenticate that the response is legitimate. Your experience and knowledge about the internet may be much greater than mine, however, and I'm really okay being dismissed as a raving paranoid... ;)

11. TheFantod

TheFantod #5 of the Pentaverate. Took Col. Sanders' spot.

Aug 7, 2009
    Eastern N.C.
    Threw caution to the wind and replied with some pics. Here's the response....LOL....

<<Thanks for getting back to me and am okay with the price and the
    condition and i will like to make an outright purchase of this
    particular item but i will need your honest because, i anticipate that
    a certified cashier,s check will be sent to you via ups as the mode of
    payment, concerning the pick up, i will be responsible for that, where
    my mover will come for the pick up at your location upon your
    confirmation of receiving the payment and cleared your bank and i want
    you to remove this item from the ad. I ought to come for the viewing
    but due to my tight schedule i will like you to provide the
    information below so that the payment will be done as soon as
    possible:-

1......Full names
    2......Full home address
    3......City, State & zip code
    4......Tel #

As soon as this is provided i will let you know when payment is mailed
    out and i will update you on when you will receive the payment, and
    give you instructions on what to do..I hope we handle this in good
    faith...>>

Thanks while waiting to hear from you>

Yeah....right......:ninja:

12. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    You should tell the scammer that you're very interested and that he should call you right away. And then give him a wrong number - that is, the number of a law enforcement agency.
    Or just lead him on for a while, try to take up his time with requests for more info from him.
    Scammers deserve whatever hassles they get.

13. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Since when did responding to an email become throwing caution to the wind? :D

Don't waste your time with that scammer. I personally don't send pictures, if the person is serious about buying they will come and check the item out.

14. duff beer

duff beer

Dec 2, 2007
    Winnipeg
    Your response almost made me blow beer out my nose... :D

It is almost impossible today to get a response for anything that is not text shorthand or full of spelling and grammar mistakes. I have a very low tolerance for those replies and usually ignore them.

15. You'll love this:

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/email-pranks/email-spam-something.php

:D

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021