Clacking Noise

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by st-anger1221, Feb 18, 2006.

1. st-anger1221

Jan 28, 2006

I play bass with my fingers and depending on the speed I play some of the strings, especially the E willl clack against the frets towards the pickups, so like fret 22-24 and it gets kind of annoying. How can I eliminate this? Does the action have to be adjusted or does my playing have to be less intense? lol

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Lots of things can cause the clacking. The bass itself, your technique, the strings, the way you have it EQed. I play pretty aggressively and couldn't get a Warwick I had to stop clacking unless I pretty much rolled off all the highs. Suggestions:

• Play more softly
    • Raise your action
    • Use nickel wound strings
    • Mess with your EQ until you elimate the clack
    • Change your technique
    • Shop for a new bass that you can dig into without clacking
    If none of those fix it than accept that you're a clacky player. :)
  3. amistybleu

Jan 15, 2006
    Thornton, CO
    I get the same thing, you can try and deal with it by lowering you mids and highs if it bothers you, I only notice it when I am playing alone, and it really doesn't bother me. I think it is the nature of the beast, especially if you are doing drop D tuning. I had high action on one of my basses before and hated it because it seemed more clacky during hammer on. What do your bandmates say about it?

Of course you could start playing Carpender's Songs, that would probably fix it:smug:
  4. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Raise your action, try flatwounds or nickel rounds, back off on the treble a bit.
  5. Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    i hate the clack. with my new bass i tend to clack more than with my old one. so, i ...

raised the super low but beautiful actin a bit.

i rol loff the 12k.

i TRY to play more gently, but frankly it isnt me. i am not a crazy hard kill my strings nut. i play skynyrd type stuff. but i tend to run a llittle hard with my fingers.

i thikn i MAY need a higher nut though. is this possible? it seems to be the only way to rais ethe action at the other end of the neck (near the nut).

thoughts? (osrry for the hijack.. i t amy help you thougH!!!!!!)
  6. st-anger1221

Jan 28, 2006
    well one of my band mates said it sounds sometimes like i am playing slap bass lol
    Thanks for all your suggestions I will give them a try.
  7. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    might not have understood correctly, but you say the strings hit the pickups causing a clacking sound?
    are the pickup poles exposed? if so, metal contacting metal(string and pole) can cause this type of noise also.
    i've put a small piece of electrical tape over exposed poles on pickups before to solve the problem.
    it does not have any effect on the sound.
    or perhaps just lower the pickups?
    then you don't have to sacrifice playability.
  8. st-anger1221

Jan 28, 2006
    ya there seems to be contact on the pickups aswell as on the frets closest to the pickups, but themain clacking seems to be coming from the strings bouncing off the frets.
  9. Have you tried lowering the pickups?
    Maybe you need strings with more tension.
  10. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
  11. oathbass462

oathbass462 Guest

Dec 27, 2005
    i get that sometimes on my squier when i kick the tone all the way up, and also when i first started playing i would fingerpick the strings the wrong way, until i learned to just roll my fingertips across the top of string instead of curling my finger and plucking at the side of the string. both these caused clanking noises.
  12. flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    get flats and raise your action/ add some relief to truss rod.