Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Clamping a heavily inlayed fretboard

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Jim T., Oct 12, 2003.

1. I've considered purchasing a VERY heavily inlayed fingerboard from Mr. Stambaugh. It's the "Godess" design shown on his site.

I have glued fretboards onto necks when I built banjo necks but have never clamped a previously inlayed ( lots of "continuous" inlay) board to a neck. How can this be done without cracking the existing inlays? If I put a "covering" "guard" board over the inlay and board, will that be enough to spread the load evenly without cracking the mother of pearl and abalone? Thanks!

2. I'll give it a shot...

I would use some radiused cawls for clamping. You can get these thru StewMac or make your own. It's not very hard to do it yourself.

I would then line the cawl with a piece of felt to avoid scratching, then clamp as you would normally do. The cawl(s) will spread the load nicely and they are thick enough not to distort under the clamp load.

Hope this helps

3. Thanks Hambone! I'm digging out my Stew-Mac catalog and I'll check out the cawls.
    Jim