1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

clamping a neck to get it straight

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by therex, Apr 3, 2009.

1. therex

therex

Jun 24, 2007
    lima
    i cant adjust my rod any more, and i dont think a washer would do the trick since i need around 1 full turn to the rod to get the neck straight
    so any info on how to do this?, also if there is a better method for this that would be great, pics or drawings could be needed since i am not very good at english
    the bass is a squier VM p bass if you want to know

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    if one washer won't do it use 3 of them. I go anywhere from one to three and have had no problems.

3. 1) Remove truss rod nut.
    2) Add washers to rod.
    3) Replace truss rod nut, adjust.

4. therex

therex

Jun 24, 2007
    lima
    thats were original thread started, i was sent here

also do you guys think the washer trick is enough for 1 turn? i need to give the rod a turn or more to get his neck straight so i dont think a washer or 3 is enough

5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Just see how many washers you need to take up the slack. Depends on how much slack and how thick the washers.

6. therex

therex

Jun 24, 2007
    lima
    but how many washers can i put in there? i think there is a limit, because of space

7. greekorican

greekorican

Mar 12, 2009
    I have the same problem, I can't tighten my truss rod anymore, but there is still too much relief. I have been looking for washers, but none of them fit inside the little hole that the truss rod is in. Where do you find washers that are the right size? I can't seem to find any.

8. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Dan Erlewine has a video on how to help the truss rod out. It works, but be patient and careful. I just used this method to straighten out a Peavey Fury neck but I did it in several steps over several days.

9. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Not all hardware stores have them small enough. But I have found them in Canadian Tire and Home Depot and another hardware chain--Home Hardware. Keep looking.