1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

CLANG!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Swampish, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Swampish

Swampish

Dec 31, 2015
    Quebec, Canada
    So, responding to a recent post, I indicated that between my sound settings, string choice, bass, technique, etc., I love that every now and then I get the metallic clang of the strings cutting through the mix. Could be on a lift off, hammering down too hard on the fretboard, striking a string too hard or at a funny angle...whatever, but I find it so satisfying when you're playing low and deep and you get the occasional clang. Not the buzz of fret contact and not something that happens too often, otherwise it starts to sound clanky, which is different and not at all what I'm talking about.
    Is it just me? Is it my poor technique that I've grown to appreciate over the years? I've heard it with other bassists often when playing faster lines and I love when I hear them do it as well. It's heavy and bright/punchy at the same time.
    Anyone share this love of the clang or am I about to get trolled and berated about how this sort of thing is a letdown to the bass community?

Rock Salad likes this.
  2. leftyjohn

leftyjohn

Mar 20, 2018
    NW US
    I get something I call "clacking" at times.......meaning that it is time for new strings. don't know if this what you are talking about or not.

Swampish likes this.
  3. saabfender

saabfender

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    It doesn't sound like bad technique, just making a little extra bass guitar noise. Not a bad thing at all if it works with the tune and, yes, with the drummer.

4. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

What you describe is generally something I have intentionally tried to control in both my technique and sound. Ideally you should be able to produce or eliminate it at will...but equipment choice, setup, and certain aspect of technique do place some limits over the range of possibilities.

5. Swampish

Swampish

Dec 31, 2015
    Quebec, Canada
    Actually, for me, it's when you're playing and it could be low frequency and even muddy, but every now and then you get the more metallic sound of the string cutting through. Sometimes I think it occurs because you hit the string more percussively (almost like an unintentional slap) and it's like a metallic exclamation point.