Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Clang!!!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Plucky, Aug 8, 2002.

1. Plucky

Plucky

Jun 18, 2002
    Underwater
    i was tryin to tune down e to d and while playin the notes, i broke it. now gotta go and buy strings, so i need advice, low prices and some money: what are the best quality ones at the lowest price (not el cheapo ones, but some that are like 50/50..)? what have worked for you and which strings were so sucky you almost broke your bass?

2. I think you will get some better suggestions if you tell us what kind of stings you like i.e. Steel, nickel, flats, roundwound... Also, what kind of music do you play?

Me, I like Stainless Steel roundwound string. My favorates are D'addario Prisms. Relatively cheap, last a very long time and Super Bright.

3. Plucky

Plucky

Jun 18, 2002
    Underwater
    i would like some roundwounds, i play mostly rock, alternative rock, so it'd be about it. steel, nickel, i dunno, but i know steel its pretty durable, so i would go with them. for like 12$, or a little bit more i could find some good ones, or im gonna spend some more?

4. Plucky

Plucky

Jun 18, 2002
    Underwater
    btw, my dad said i shouldnt detune, and that i broke my string cause of that......its me or that was a dumb comment?

5. it's you. he's partially right. strings don't like to be switched back and forth between to different tensions.

6. Hmmm... I have a detuner on my 4 string and I have never, ever broken an "E" string on that bass.

Hey Pocky, are you playing with a band or practicing at home by yourself mostly? I ask because in my opinion nickel strings tend to sound a bit better if you are playing by yourself through a practice amp. Stainless Steel cuts through live mixes pretty well.

7. Plucky

Plucky

Jun 18, 2002
    Underwater
    im not in a band but im not gonna buy string every 2 months or so, so im mainly lookin for something durable, cheap and with good sound, not in that particular order. if u know whats or what'd better, tell me.

8. Well, what I do when I am woodshedding is go to my local indepentant music shop and get a deal on stainless steel no-name brand strings. I get to pick my gauges out of bins of single strings. I also find that if I wash my hands really well before I play and thoroughly wipe down my strings before and after playing they last for like 6 months.