1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Clangy Bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Mean Mr Mustard, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Mean Mr Mustard

Mean Mr Mustard

Oct 8, 2005
    I have noticed a lot in Rock music the bass sounds really clangy in a lot of the music. Is this because the type of strings a bass player uses? Or could it be that they use a pick and pick hard? Or does it depend on the type of bass? I am very confused on this issue.

I hope you all know what I mean by Clangy bass.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    New roundwound strings with a heavy attack or a pick = clanky.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    clangy is an abstract term really... example?

The bassist clangy brings to mind for me, Steve Harris.

4. Mean Mr Mustard

Mean Mr Mustard

Oct 8, 2005
    its hard to explain I think Jimmy knows what I am talking about. It sounds like the string is hitting up against the fretboard or something because the player is picking very hard. I will try to find an example.

5. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    Steve Harris is clangy, he uses flats, but they are new flats and with his attack and action I believe the strings hit the frets.

For the original poster:
    The clack can be easily attained with roundwounds and low action. A pick may bring it out more, but I don't think it causes it.

6. Mean Mr Mustard

Mean Mr Mustard

Oct 8, 2005
    Thanks for the replies, that clank or clack or whatever you want to call it really bugs the crap out of me. I just want to know how I can avoid it at all costs. :D

7. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    rofl

But FYI, flats are USUALLY the least clangy. And I don't think clangy is abstract at all. I got the concept immediately.

8. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    newish strings, roundwound (no point going for flats if you're after a zingy clang), tone wide open on your bass, a pick will usually add a bit of top end although you don't have to pick too hard

goose your upper mids (play around in the 1k frequency range) on your amp, and use lots of 10" speakers

so if you want to avoid it, play flats with your fingers, turn all your tone down on your bass, knock down everything on your graphic on your amp above 300hz and use 15" speakers.. i guarantee you'll have none of that nasty presence or clarity :)

9. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    Or if you want clarity without clang you could play with flats on a 15 and have set you tone knob open and eq the amp correctly.

10. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx