1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Clank sound when fretting! Help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ODDBALL, Sep 4, 2008.

1. ODDBALL

ODDBALL Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    I do not know if I am describing this well but here I go. When I start to play and I am going up and down the Fret Board, with my left hand I hear a clank kind of sound off the frets. I have played other basses and this has not happend. Why is this? Sometimes I hear a bass player playing and I hear nothing, very quiet, and other times you can hear the strings bounce off the Fret board. How do get rid of this? Or is it me? Also, I know I might already know this answer, but why when you hear a recorded bass it always sounds very smooth and deep? It must be the Sound engineer at the studio right!

Thanks
    Shaun

2. mynan

mynan

Nov 7, 2007
    Grand Haven, MI
    Buy a fretless bass...:D

Seriously, if it's not a problem with the setup on your bass it's just a matter of refining your technique...

3. ODDBALL

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    How can I refine my technique? What should I do?

Thanks
    Shaun

4. mynan

mynan

Nov 7, 2007
    Grand Haven, MI
    Practice...I know, it's work.

I would start by working on your right hand (unless you are a lefty) and make sure that your plucking (or picking) the strings causes them to move mostly parallel with the fretboard and not perpendicular. Also, work on muting the strings that aren't being played.

5. ODDBALL

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    Thank You very much Mynan for the info. I will work a little harder on these things.

Thanks
    Shaun

6. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    you might be digging in a little too much.

I used to have this problem when I had a low wattage amp and was being drowned out by everyone else.

I got a more powerful amp and stopped plucking so hard and the problem cleared up.

7. prokfrog

prokfrog

Mar 16, 2007
    new jersey
    Whie I agree with technique, if you are not experiencing this on other basses, you might have a set-up issue, or both. I had a similar situation where I discovered the nut was actually cut / filed too low where the strings on the back end of the fretted note was slapping against the fretboard. It's worth checking your nut height..

8. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Are you playing a Music Man bass?

9. Pako

Pako Are we having fun yet?

Jul 31, 2002
    USA, Montana
    You may be playing too heavy or hard for the action. If your action is super low, a lighter touch will help clean this up. If you're happy with your technique, trying raising the action to help cleanup the sound. You may also try a lighter gauge string to provide less string movement/vibration.

Not knowing all the variables of your bass, setup, ect, I am only guess at a solution for you. Good luck.

10. ODDBALL

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    I play a Warwick Streamer Stage II 5, The action is low and I am using standard strings with a .125 B. I was thinking of taking it in to a setup guy. And I could try a lighter touch.

Thanks
    Shaun