Clanky A

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by 87octane_, Nov 4, 2002.

1. 87octane_

87octane_ Guest

Jul 18, 2001
    Sumner, IL
    My A string on my bass is making a really clanky sound when I hit it open. The action on it is pretty high, and it doesn't look like it's hitting any frets. As I said, it only does it on the open A...could it be that the groove in the nut has been worn away a bit? If so, what do I do about it?
  2. aaron f.

aaron f.

Oct 21, 2000
    I used to have the same problem on my MIM Jazz. To fix it I just made sure I had at least four or five windings around the peg, it seemed that with too little downward tension I'd get some bad effects. Hope this helps.
  3. Try raising the pickup and check the nut...

4. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I believe you would want to lower the pup. That is, increase distance between string and pole piece.

If the pups are too high it can also "choke" the sound, especially on the larger diameter strings.

5. sleazylenny

Jun 20, 2002
    Mpls, MN
    Another thing to keep in mind is technique. There have been many a time when I've gone looking for a click or a clack on my bass, only to find it was something I was doing myself.

Does your bass make this noise when played with your fingers? Try a pick. Still there? How about when you play nearer the neck? Away from the neck?

It could also be a muting issue. I used to get noise when my finger came to rest on the string below the one I was plucking. It would hit that string and bounce it into the fretboard. Muted the "resting" string and the problem went away. Perhaps your E string is too low and when you play your open A, your fingers knock the E into the fretboard.

Long story short: Look at your technique, also.