1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Clanky bass strings

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Largedon, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Whenever I fret a string I seem to be getting an excessive clank sound, like you can hear the string hitting the fret/fretboard. It seems to be worst on the E and gets noticebly worse as strings age. The bass in questions is a 2001 Warwick Thumb.

Does anyone know if this could be related to a setup problem. Maybe the strings are too high, pups to close to string, too much relief in the neck. I've experimented by changing most of these things, but to no avail. Maybe its just a Warwick thing, but I don't remember this being a problem in the past. I've played this bass for almost 6 years now.

Its gotten to the point where I'm so sick of it, that I just roll my highs back a bit to minimize it, but my tone takes a hit then:(. If anyone has any ideas or has seen a similar problem, any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. djwackfriz

djwackfriz

Jul 31, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    get ready for someone to say "light touch"...

readyy....

wait for itttt......

3. Is it your fretting hand making the noise, or your plucking hand?

When I got my 5 string, the neck was very differently shaped, and my fretting hand would always clank the strings against the fingerboard when I was fretting. When I would practice I would roll highs up so I would have to listen to the clanking and then slowly overtime the way I fret became more subtle and I made less noise.

Also if I'm plucking more towards the neck and I get heavy handed the strings will clack against the frets.

If it is your plucking hand and you are a bit heavy handed, slightly raising your action can help, but before I get shot, most people will say EQing and Setup changes are not acceptable to "correct" technique. (not saying you have technique problem! Just in general :) )

4. I wish that was all it was, but I've been playing professionally (well at least for money, I think there was a thread on this:eyebrow:) for almost 20 years and have never had this problem. It really sucks as I'm really self-conscious about it, especially in recording sessions. In a live setting its not really noticeable because it gets buried in the mix.

5. Actually, I think I got it fixed. Darn Warwicks have too many moving parts:) I raised the adjust-a-nut quite a bit and it seemed to take care of it. If anyone has other suggestions please post them though.

6. With the nut adjusted like you have now, are there intonation problems?

7. No, that was the first thing I checked after adjusting and everythings holding fine and my tone is back to how it was. I'll need to check it again tomorrow after everything "adjusts", but hopefully this will hold. Been messing with this for at least a couple of weeks. This is what I get for messing with my setup too much. Sometimes its just so hard to leave well enough alone.

8. Glad you found the problem =D!

9. I was almost ready to go buy a new bass, not that I still may not;). Just need to keep working on the wife a little longer.