Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Clapton's tone on Me and Mr. Johnson?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Kurisu, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    I'm listening to track 8 "Milkcow's Calf Blues" and the tone is incredible. Does anyone know the guitar and amp/cab he's using on this track? I'm just curious. It sounds like beautiful golden honey-dipped distortion tone. I just love it.

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Hissss - get thee to a guitar forum!! :spit:

;)

3. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    :p

I just.. can't... help it...! I love the tone!!! :crying:

4. Sorry, but only my opinion, I can't give any credit to him for doing an album of other peoples songs when he has a perfectly working brain to write his own original material, or does he. Shure, he can play well, but why doesn't he write his stuff instead. I rather listen to him do an album of his own stuff, rather than hear him play an album of other peoples stuff. Its like a movie that was made years ago, then to make bucks they remake it in a modern style with a modern spin. With all the creativity out there in the world, we don,t need to be hearing repeats of everything. If i want to listen to robert johnson, I will go and by robert johnson. Dissapointed.
    Once again, only my opinion.

5. I'm sure alot of it has to do with his pickups...IIRC lace sensors?

6. yeah, i believe he used his fender sig. strat, along with an old fender tweed amp (which was made to exact vintage specs, including 50 year old wood out of an abandoned church!) i don't believe he uses any distortion pedals or anything like that.

puttz, i somewhat agree with you, i didn't think it was his best album, but i still like the idea...dedicating an entire album to robert johnson...and as for remakes, i enjoyed the new oceans eleven, although the old one with the rat pack was quite good too, but thats movies!! i can still see your point though

Charlie

7. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    Puttz, I understand what you're saying, and in some ways I agree with you - there is so much Clapton could be doing that he doesn't need to be covering songs.

On the other hand, I'm really glad he did this album. He has always given Johnson the credit he deserves, and Clapton has said on many occasions that when he gets too far into rock he always goes back to Johnson to stay grounded. I think the CD shows his love for the old master, and it's nice that he spent the time to make it.

Sure, if you want to hear the original, it's there. And you may (probably) think that the originals are better. That's fine. I don't think he ever claimed he wanted to make them better. But this CD may open some people's eyes and get them into listening to the old warhorses. At least for that you've got to like it. :)

I, for one, am happy he did it. He added alot to the songs that weren't there in the original. The quality is extremely nice, and they're fun to listen to. I'm happy.

8. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    Yah, I've read in a couple of places (after trying to find out on my own) that he uses that equipment and little else. I just didn't know if he used that equip on this specific album.

I might just go ahead and get a silly little Squire, pop in some of his pups, add a mid boost, and make a DIY 5watt Fender Tweed Twin clone. hmm... tone..... (homer drool)

9. Fair enough guys. You both made valid points. I still can't see myself burning a copy. :)