Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Clarification on Sansamp Bass DI please

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Stinsok, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    From the paragraph I cut and pasted below, I understand that the Bass DI (not the rack mount version) can be used as a stand alone preamp. That was copied from Bass NW's site which is copied from Tech21's. Am I correct or sadly mistaken?

SansAmp Bass Driver DI gives you the warmth, presence and punch of a miked-up bass tube amp system in a conveniently portable direct box/pedal format. SansAmp Bass Driver DI can be used as a pre-amp or stomp box with your existing stage rig. You can drive a power amp and speaker cabinets. Or go direct into the mixer of a recorder or P.A. You can also plug into a power amp or conventional bass amp and a P.A. system simultaneously. The controls offer a broad range of traditional bass amp sounds, including such meaty styles as Bassman® and SVT®, as well as raunchy, crunchy overdriven sounds that would typically require a multitude of effects units.

2. Well, you could plug it in directly to your power amp and it will work. The big problem is that it lacks enough power to drive the power amp. When I tried this, I noticed that my volume levels couldn't get as high as when I ran into through the preamp.

3. Yes the sabddi will drive a power amp, so will most basses, but you may not get the most out of your power amp and may have problems with noise. Power amps are designed to be driven by a 1 vilt line level signal and the out put of the sabddi stomp box deos not have a line level output, it is designed to drive the preamp section of most bass amps.

4. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I just read the FAQ on Sansamps. The question is asked concerning the SA powering headphones. The response is that while it will work, the results may not be all the good. Probably not enough output to use as a stand alone.

5. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I think there is a simple mod to correct this.You may want to try calling or e-mailing Tech 21 for the answer......

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Tech21 must be bored answering that. They must have received this question a few thousand times.

7. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Anyone wanna help Stinsok out so he doesn't have to call them?

8. ejsagun

ejsagun

Jan 20, 2003
    Ive seen somewhere in the forums that you can take out the output resistors to get a higher output level for Driving PA style power amps

9. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    This evening at practice I am going to try the SA into my ART Levelar and try running it into an old Crest amp to see if this will work.

10. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  11. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Thanks guys. I won't be altering the BDDI in anyway. I am seriously considering buying a used power amp and running with my SA and ART LeVelar tube mic preamp (if my experiment works tonight. ) If that does not work, I will probably buy a used RBDDI or a BBE BMax.

12. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    When my SM400S was in shop a few years ago I ran the BDDI into a BBE and then an Alesis poweramp and it worked fine for a few gigs.

13. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    1. how sensitive is the power amp
    2. how loud you need to get

The pedal really doesn't put out the oomph you might normally expect from a reackmount-type preamp. That said, it will still work. It's just that there's a difference between doing some and doing it well.