1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Clarion Instrument Insurance

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by gzarate85, Mar 9, 2013.

1. gzarate85

gzarate85 Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Hey TB'ers- I recently bought a Smith, the nicest bass I've ever owned. That said, I've been thinking about having it insured. I thought about tying it in with my homeowners insurance, however I recently heard about Clarion through a member on the Smith forum. Just want to see if anyone else (TB is a wider audience) has had any experience with them. Their premiums seem reasonable and am really thinking of going with them. Their coverage covers just about anything from theft to damage of any kind, covers anywhere in the world.

Thoughts?

2. David281189

David281189

Jun 25, 2012
    if they cover everything and the pricing sounds good...go for it :)

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Do a search, there was a recent thread on Clarion. They have a standard minimum premium which is pretty high compared to its competitors, especially if you only want to insure only one instrument.

Clarion was unable to match a quote I received from Music Pro Insurance, which is who I eventually went with.

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Clarion has had my business for 8 years, and paid a claim I had promptly.

5. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg Keyboards
    The agent that handles my home owner's insurance told me that if you file a claim against your home owner's insurance your rates will increase even if the claim is denied. If you file two claims, the insurance may drop you all together even if the claims are denied. Instrument insurance sounds like a good idea if the price is right. Having said that, I have been gigging and touring for 35 years and the only time I had anything stolen was buy a former drummer that I had played with.

6. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Just paid my insurance. I used to be with Merz-Huber. This is my second year with The Hartford. My premium is about 1.5% the replacement value of my gear.

7. iwearpumas

iwearpumas

Aug 12, 2011
    Middletown, NY
    I think I accidentally blew my cab. I wonder if Clarion will cover a replacement cab.

8. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    I was reading the basis for coverage. Clarion has an agreed value basis and Music Pro uses replacement value if you have a claim.

Dan K.

9. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Moved to Miscellaneous

10. iwearpumas

iwearpumas

Aug 12, 2011
    Middletown, NY
    I have no idea what that means.