1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Claro or Dark walnut?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Loop, Apr 16, 2006.

1. Loop

Loop

Jan 21, 2006
    Hi!I don't speak your language very well, so excuse me for all possible errors.There is anybody of you who can tell me what are the differences of sound between claro (oregon) walnut, dark walnut and european walnut?

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I have not heard these so far, but as I've heard two pieces of the same type of wood in similar basses sound slightly different and the same bass sound different through different amps, p-ups or with different strings, I'd say it won't matter much which subspecies you go with. The actual piece of wood will have a bigger impact; also, the construction, the grain direction, the neck wood, construction, dimensions, p-ups, strings, electronics, amps and cab will also affect the tone - not to mention how coarse the skin is on your fingers and how long your nails are... ;)

3. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Generally, softer woods will be more punchy, meaning that the attack will be short with rather quick first decline.
    The differences of walnuts, for body wood, would be minimal. For neck wood, IMO, black walnut is the only one. European is not up to my stiffness standards.