1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Clarus 1 vs. 200mb?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by damonsmith, Feb 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    I've posted before about wanting a more modern amp. Since I don't amplify that often I'd like to get in as cheap as I can, but when I do amplify I just need it to be better.
    It looks like the Clarus 1 can be had the cheapest. I'd run it through a nice old H & H 15" cab for a while at least.
    Is this going to be a significant upgrade in power and sound from my 200MB?

2. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    The main concern is that it does look more bulky, but, I am not really looking to travel with an amp. The option might be nice, but the temptation might outweigh the option if that makes sense.

3. koricancowboy

koricancowboy

Jun 10, 2003
    chicago
    I have a focus 1 series 2. Still no need to upgrade. It weighs about 3.5 lbs (?), sounds good, and fairly compact. I have an LDS 1x8 that pairs with it and it sounds pretty good if I say so myself. Pretty pure. I’ve been playing with a mic lately so may go with a high end powered pa like qsc or eaw but as it stands this amp is great. On the used market you can probably pick up the equivalent for ~450-600. Without the cab cheaper of course.

james condino likes this.
  4. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Interesting idea,

The Clarus Series One is a lot more powerful than the 200MB which is one of my favorites for DB. 280 watts RMS vs 80 watts RMS.
    So that's a pretty significant difference. You've essentally got a lifetime limited warranty with the Clarus vs having to have the
    200MB repaired that's a pretty complicated amp for it's size. I do love the tone stack on the 200MB for Double Bass though,
    so it's kind of a toss up.

Ric

5. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    I've had the little Clarus for several years and will never part with it. I also had the little GK micro head (MB200?) for a time. The Clarus sounded much bigger, although they had the same power rating. Honestly, I think the old Clarus holds its own against Rick's new stuff.
    I've never used the earlier GK combo but like the MB150s.

6. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    I pulled the trigger on the Clarus 1, $350 from Guitar Center. My 200MB isn't going anywhere, I've had it for 20 years, I replaced the speaker once and had a short fixed, that was it. It is a great little amp and fine for lots of things.

You can see some of my "drummer-bragging" in my other posts - I am either just playing unamplified or literally playing with some of the best living drummers and I need something more modern and full sounding.
    It sounds like a nice problem to have, but I have honestly been sort of blindsided by it, I really didn't see it coming.

Ric Vice likes this.
  7. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    This turned out to be great choice. I played with the great New England drummer Laurence Cook last night. I am using it through an old 15" cab I already had. With the GK combo I had to favor upper and mid range playing when things got heavy, with this I can really lay into the low notes with total comfort. The head room is incredible. There is very little disparity between my acoustic sound and this, I can get really close, but, I add lows and mids so it works better in ensemble playing. I use it with a volume pedal and mostly keep it off. It sounds fine both pizz and arco with no need for different settings.

8. koricancowboy

koricancowboy

Jun 10, 2003
    chicago
    My experience exactly. If you do get a different cab with a smaller driver, that pure sound will be even more. I often forget it's on. Jerry commented on how good it sounded last we played. Glad you did it.

9. The one thing about the Clarus 1 that I dug is that it weighs as much as a hardcover book and comes in a tidy little purse you can sling over your shoulder.

What that means on a gig is that even if the promoter fails to supply a speaker cabinet, you can run a balanced line from the DI and still be heard in the house if you need reinforcement.

The amp itself sounds like an icepick in your ear, but it’s 20-year-old technology.

Ric Vice likes this.
  10. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I liked the Form Function of having the control surface facing upward, since you had easier access to the preamp, when it set on top of a cabinet.

What I missed about the amp was it not having separate High and Low midrange controls. The last revision Clarius Plus added those and I like

that change. Just my take.

Ric