Clarus and Preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FritzM, May 4, 2002.

1. FritzM

FritzM Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Madison, MS
    Just got an Acoustic Image Clarus and I'm running it through an Epifani T112. It is awesome. I play ABG's mostly, and the piezos give me more than enough power (headroom), however not the case with my Jazz bass. What would be the best preamp to use with a jazz to boost gain and give me a good transparent sound?
    1. Sansamp DI
    2. Aguilar DB924
    3. Sadowsky
    4. Raven Labs stuff
    5. J Retro
    6. Fodera

I really like the tone I'm getting, I just need more headroom. I've used a Sansamp DI for recording, and it was wonderful. Will it give me more headroom?

2. I've used a Sansamp, a Sadowsky, an ART, and a Fishman, and I think the J-retro I currently have is way ahead of any of them. It is such a powerful tool that the best results are gained when it is used sparingly.
  3. bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    The Raven Labs PHA-1 is quite possibly the most transparent piece of gear I've ever heard in my life.
  4. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    but do you want onboard or outboard box? i'd go onboard only cause it'll be easier to control your sound right from your bass.

but if you go outboard, i second the Raven Labs as the most transparent. their outboard gear is pretty intense. i personally use a PMB-1 for my acoustic g*****.

if you want something that colors and adds its own flava to your bass, i like the Sadowsky one. but it does lack a midrange switch so you'll be out of some options. but for basic treble/bass, its slap tone is really hard to beat. comes in both the onboard or outboard box.

I like especially the J-Retro. clean and clear with LOTS of db boosts. treble, middle, bass switches. versatile to the point of making your jbass almost *not* sound like a jbass anymore. onboard only.

a little trivia, but according to Aguilar brochures, Alex Aguilar first worked on the prototype Sadowsky preamp. i'm not sure however if this was the same prototype that went into Marcus Miller's 70's jbass.
  5. FritzM

FritzM Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Madison, MS
    OK, with the J Retro, is it possible to get the same tone I'm getting now, but boost the overall output of the bass? I'm definately NOT opposed to going with an onboard preamp. My Jazz is a CS Relic with Dimarzio ultra jazz pickups, and it sounds fantastic. So, I wouldn't want to mess up my tone. What are your opinions?

6. FritzM

FritzM Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Madison, MS
    Oh, I forgot. I use a pretty old skool tone. The back pickup Jaco kinda thing. And, I rarely slap. So, I'm not really looking for a Hi fi tone. Just, warm. punchy and round. (uprightish)

7. If you're running out of headroom, you need more power and/or more speakers. A preamp will change the sound but it won't increase the overall headroom.
  8. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    it was a bart pre that went into marcus' bass, roger just installed it. somehow over the years roger started getting way too much credit over the tone of that bass.
  9. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I've heard that the clarus doesn't effect your tone very much so where if you were going to add an extra eq would you put it. Effects loop? Between bass and clarus?

Fritzm what sort of range can you get with you Jazz bass and clarus like could you easily with a little eq tweeking sound like john paul jones to then say marcus miller or jaco?
    I'm not talking about playing like them just having that tone.

BTW if you need more head room you need more power you can if you want run the effects loop out in to another power amp and then to the speaker here by bypassing your power amp in the clarus.