Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Clarus gig report

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by geshel, Sep 1, 2002.

1. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I played a show tonight using my AI Clarus head. Not the first time I have, but I tried an experiment with the cabs this time. I plugged in both my Tech 2x12 and the Acme B-1. The Tech is 8 ohms, the Acme 4. Also the Tech is a good deal more efficient than the Acme. I realized the Acme would get twice the power but still not be as loud - however I felt it had the lows and and a better top end to help out with, if even just a little.

So, first I should say that adding the Acme made almost no noticeable difference. So, the experiment was useful in that regard.

However, the Clarus cut out a few times during the show. The total load was 2.67 ohms, but it's rated down to 2. I suppose I was pushing it pretty hard, but it's hard not to push the Clarus it seems (I was playing with a moderately loud drummer and a guitarist pushing a baritone through a 4x10 cab).

It would stop making sound for about a second, and it did this four or five times. After I unplugged the Acme it stopped. Tomorrow I will plug in the Acme to make sure it didn't get fried (and maybe short out) :( but hopefully that's not it and I just ran into the Clarus' tolerance limit. I don't know if it got too hot or what (it wasn't hot to the touch).

Anyway. I really like having this tiny little amp, but I think there's a QSC PLX in my future. :D

2. I wouldn't use it on anything but a jazz gig or a rehearsal.

3. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I've used the Clarus on a number of different types of gigs with a few different cabinet configurations. I've used it with a Goliath Jr. 8ohm and a Flite 15 8 ohm cab and had more than enough volume, I was told to turn it down and I was playing with two guitarist, a keyboard player and a drummer. It wasn't a large venue i.e. can hold about 50-75 people. I just did a gig the other night using the Clarus with a single 10 and the bassist that had played prior to me commented on how big my sound was out in the audience. Again this wasn't a large venue, it was a bar that could hold about 100-150.

I've used it mostly with 8ohm cabs so have only squeezed 200 watts out of the thing, but for the places I'm playing it has been more than enough.

4. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Yeah, it'll definitely do more than Jazz combos and rehearsals. I think it'd power an efficient cab like an SWR or Eden 4x10 just fine. And, with my Tech 2x12 (not sure of the efficiency, I think it's in the high 90s), it was plenty loud enough. It was getting a bit wooly, had a pretty nice warm sound really, but never distorted (when I tried to use it with only the Acme once, it was fart city though).

5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    BTW, the Acme sounds fine today so I didn't blow it. :cool:

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Well, I played a louder gig last night with the Clarus and the Tech 2x12. It was a loud, long bar with 50-75 people in it. Same lineup as before, but the drummer was hitting pretty hard this time. I think we overcompensated a bit - we didn't really have to be heard way up front anyway.

At the volume level I settled on, the Clarus was distorting pretty much continuously. Again, it's a smooth distortion that ended up fitting in with the band fine. But I was worried about damaging the speaker. Funnily, the B string sounded very good - it was distorted too, but not any more than the rest, and still sounded tight and nice and low. Since the guitarist is using a baritone I tend to use the B a good amount with this band.

I was thinking maybe about using the Tech and the Peavey 210TX together next time the volume is so loud, but I'm not sure - that would be 2.67 ohms again, would the Clarus start cutting out? :(

I'm thinking more about getting a Raven Labs MDB-1 and a PLX. The sound I had last night was OK but I'd rather not be forced to have a warm and fuzzy sound at those volumes.

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

8. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Good idea - I just did. :)

9. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I got this back from AI:

And

He got back to me very quickly. I'm going to leave my Clarus as it is - If I need to push it that hard in the future I'll just use a power amp instead (besides that'll give me an excuse to bring my Alembic/SansAmp preamp-rack :) ).

10. I've never liked the idea of running any amp to 2 ohms, even though the maker specifies it as 2 ohm capable. Too much heat and all the components are working way too hard for my liking. I think that amps consistently run at 2 ohms will have short lives.

11. :rolleyes: