Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Clarus or Iamp 350?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yamarc, Jun 6, 2003.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I play medium to small venues, and I don't know how much power I really need. I play an NS CR4M and a jazz style four stringer...so which do you think would be the better amp and why?

2. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    If you just played small venues I would say the Clarus would get you by, but anything bigger than that I would definitely go with the iAmp350. The iAmp will serve you much better with your electric also.:bassist:

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    if you play in problematic venues, or play in large ensembles or groups, where you're stacked right up against the keyboard player or guitar player's amp, you might better appreciate the crazy EQ options that the iAMP offers you to help you cut thru the dense mix.

if you're in a simple trio or quartet, and just need something for on the go, then by all means get the Clarus. my Elrick sounds great with the Clarus, but my Azola BugII sounds killer!

4. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Does the Clarus consistently have enought power for you? 200 watts just doesn't seem like a lot...Does anyone know if the iamp and the clarus sound similar? It seems likr they are going for the same type of sound. Thanks, Marc

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i find the clarus much more burnished and dark like a woolly tube like sound, whereas the EA is clear as a bell in sunshine.

also, depending on your gig, 200 watts @ 8 ohms is plenty for me against a moderate drummer, 22 watt Fender Vibrolux, a keyboard, etc. EQ'ing tho is another story. i'm actually thinking about getting a little Raven Labs True Blue EQ to help me out, yet stay compact.

6. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    Are you talking about your Clarus? It's 120 watts @ 8 ohms, the iAmp is 250 watts @ 8 ohms.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    oopsie, i meant 200 watts @ 4 ohms. my bad.

8. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I thought the Clarus was supposed to be clean also. Joker describes a tubey sound, is this the consensus of anyone else? I like the idea of more wattage from the iamp AND a headphone amp, very nice! But, you say you enjoy the sound of your elrick through the Clarus also...howbig are the gigs that you take Clarus to? Can it be heard over a moderately loud drum kit? thanks guys, Marc

9. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    Marc,
    The difference in watts between the iAmp and the Clarus is quite noticeable. The iAmp can also get a very warm sound. I've owned both and although the Clarus is very portable and a pretty good sounding amp, I prefer the iAmp IMHO.
    What cab are you using?

10. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I am playing through 2 GS112's, I am glad to hear that you think The iamp can also get warm. Why else did you prefer the iamp to the clarus? Thanks ,marc

11. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    The EQ on the Clarus is very limited whereas the iAmp is very flexible. I love my iAmp am using it more than my Woods right now. I have an iAmp800 on order and can't wait til it gets here.

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Hey,

i think Pete McF is using his Aguilar 1x12 pair with his Clarus, and he loves it. he also notes how surprisingly loud it is. might wanna PM him or somethin'.