Clarus or Walkabout?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wilbyman, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I've got an old style Clarus which I'm thinking about replacing with a Walkabout.

On the other hand, I'm thinking so Aguilar 112's (currently using SWR cabs) may revitalize my sound.

Can anybody compare the Clarus and Walkabout for me, tonally? It would be nice to get a little more tone shaping and punch than the Clarus provides...not that I don't appreciate its transparency.

Alternatively, anybody running the Aguilars with a Clarus?

The loudest playing I'm doing is our fusion group, which isn't that loud. (Main competition is a young virile drummer...competition for volume that is :) I'm playing mostly electric, some upright.
  2. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    I'm using the Clarus with a Bergantino HT112. I love this rig.
  3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i say hold onto the Clarus, and get that Aguilar 1x12. you seem pretty happy with the limited EQ, and IMHO, the Mesa doesnt sound that much better to justify buying one. besides, anything else would feel like 2 tons compared to the wee little clarus.
  4. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    If you change your Clarus to a Mesa, you will have double the weight and some semiparametrics to play with. More "punch"? If you mean what I mean with "punch", namely quick attack, it is barely affected by the change of amp. If you'd change cab, though....

IMHO, the tone tweak abilities of the Clarus is immensely underrated. The midrange knob makes for a huge difference!
    But OK, if you for some reason need to krank special tone for a full set, and don't have such abilities on the instrument; sure. I sincerely doubt that you will dial your amp for special tone for single songs. In that case you'd be better off with an EQ pedal.

Bottom line: the Agg112 seems a great alternative to me. And perhaps an EQ pedal to cover need for extreme tone tweak.
  5. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I own an old Clarus and I've played a Walkabout... you can't go wrong with either one, but IMO putting a SansAmp BDDI into your input signal chain would give you that tubey sound, and more tone shaping, for a lot cheaper.
  6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    While I love my Walkabout, I recently had a chance to play a ThunderFunk TFB420, and I'd say that it is also a worthy contender. A little bit bigger than the Walkabout, but more power. You can't overdrive the tube like in the Walkabout (since the TFB420 doesn't have any tubes), but the ThunderFunk has more tone-shaping capabilities, and some added features (like multiple line outs, on/off switch for the fan, speakon out, etc.) that are nice to have.

Just tossing out another option for you...