Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Clarus - series 1 vs series 2

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MKS, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Hi there.

We had a mini-gathering of bassists chez Wulf (Lewisham, UK) on Saturday. The main aim of the meeting was actually for me to pick up my new Epifani UL110 from Matthew Foote. Thanks Matthew, great cab!

Anyhoo, while we were there we decided to A/B my new Acoustic Image Clarus series 2 against Matthew's older series 1. Big deal, I here you cry, the only difference is that series 2 comes in a larger box and has the notch filter. That's what I thought as well... Read on...

We played both through Matthew's 2x Accugroove Tri112 rig and had another (different) Matthew play a groove on his Fender MIA Jazz. With identical settings on both amps, mine nudged ahead of Matthew's Series 1 Clarus in terms of "headroom". I won't say volume per se although it did sound a smidge louder, but there was definitely a difference. Isn't that weird? Anyone know why this might be the case?

Oh, and while we're here, the Clarus through the Epi UL110 is just AWESOME. I must confess there was definitely a BWAH-HA-HA "voice of doom" moment when I first plugged it in. AND it's super-portable. Me likes!!! :hyper:

2. My guess is that they might tweaked both the preamp and power section slightly when doing the upgrade. That's pretty typical... although the differences you mention seem pretty trivial.

As an electric player, I find the addition of the 'low end rolloff' setting of the filter (not the notch, but the shelving roll-off) to be a great addition... you can tune the amp to the roll-off of the cab... resulting (IMO) in a tighter bottom and more volume, due to the fact that the amp is not spending power trying to reproduce those extremely low frequencies.

3. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I think KJ is right, they did a power section upgrade between the Series I and II amps. The tone is slightly, slightly different to my ears as well...but it's barely noticeable.

4. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I thought the tone was pretty similar but the series 2 head was significantly louder. Though rated at 200W into 4 ohms, Mike's Clarus sounded about as loud as my Ashdown Mag-250 (250W into 4 ohms) and, with everything flat on both heads, a little bit richer!

That's why I'm always a little bit sceptical about forming an opinion on gear I haven't tried or heard myself!

Wulf