Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Clarus + Warwick + Agi = sofine.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Greywoulf, Apr 9, 2004.

1. I know this is a contradiction, but I love my '98 Warwick Corvette FNA 4, but don't especially dig that famous Warwick 'growl.." So consequently I usually spent a lot of time tweaking my smaller Hartke and SWR combo amps to make sure that E-string growl didn't over power the tone of the bass.
    But after checking out the Clarus.... Wow!

I took the Warwick and my Agi GS112 to Bob Gollihur's for a test run of the book sized 5-pound Clarus Sii 400AI several days ago. Set the bass/amp eqs all around flat, pulled on the bass's active preamp, and that Warwick (with old GHS thin flats on it) suddenly sounded sweet as honey! Turns out the true sound of this bass is actually very mellow, with the growl still in there of course but now very much underneath the tone instead of riding on top of it. (As it often did with the SWR and Hartke... -Turns out that sometimes a little amp 'colorization' can be a bad thing!)

So I ordered a Clarus. (It's small; hopefully my 'ol lady won't notice, or suspect what it costs...) ;) Next should come (but not right away) a 4ohm 10" or 12" cab to go with the GS112's 8ohms. Then I'll have alla bases covered; 8ohms at 120W, 4ohms at 200W, 2.7ohms (both cabs) at 300W. AND NO MORE SORE BACK OR HERNIAS!!!

Greywoulf (who's new motto is, "Light Is Alright"!) :)

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Sounds like a good setup.