Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Clarus with Eden CXM-110 and bass guitar

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Apr 9, 2002.

1. Even though I'm selling my WT-300, I still want a small head to use with my CXM-110 (which will eventually have a twin) for jazz gigs.

I don't want any grit in my sound when I play jazz. I assume that the Clarus will satisfy my needs quite nicely?

2. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    I haven't tried out the Clarus (although I've heard it being used) and that definitely sounds like the thing for a nice clean sound.

Have you also considered the EA iAMP 350? Seems like it's in the same vein. Maybe if you can find a 600 version you can hold on to it for when you get your second cabinet.

3. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    I've used the Clarus- I like it- it's voiced flat,and the CMX-110 would be a great mate- Great gigbag it comes in too. I have doubts about its power to voice (2) of the EA cabs, though.
    My only hesitation- (and I know there will be those who don't agree with me, even though I am always
    on the money:D ):
    Clarus is a little underpowered for Fender bass; it sure works, I know the wattage/ohms, etc. but I believe that it just lends itself better to an upright,
    in tone, color, and power.

Look into the IAmp yes, consider also:
    Walter Woods, which you know about.
    I've raved about my Mesa WalkAbout- I use it for a jazz trio I play with-contrary to Mesa's "Boogie!"
    400+ rep- this thing sings- with my P-Bass or active, I tell you I can color the sound many ways-
    OK, you can tell I obviously like it...

I'm really interested in the new Ampeg PortaBass-
    I think that the small one in that series is gonna be a major player in this type of unit- They go for about $650, I've already checked- should be shipping soon- Yeah, I can see I'm gonna have to get one! I think that may be a great choice for that cab.

4. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    I have been using Clarus, I think it is the best among small amp. Flat , uncoloured , light and I can use with any cab w/o problem [ even with Acme Low B 2, 4 Ohms]. The best is the Coda Combo, I use it for acoustic guitar, Rob allen bass and even singing with the mike . Fantastic!!

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Pete,

the Clarus seems like it would be perfect for you. with the CXM110 (which i have as well), it'll be a great match for jazz. tho, i'd be happier with an Epifani T110. ;)

keep in mind tho, that the EQ on the Clarus aint that drastic or flexible. sounds goo thru very minor changes. if you're bass has a 3 band, then you're set. if not, then oh well. also, like Larry said, because of the EQ, the attack on the clarus seems to be softer. not quite as fat as on my iAMP. for jazz, i guess it'd be ok, but its hard to explain, you just gotta try it.

If you want an amp that's more "bass amp" than the "mini-PA" feel of the clarus, then like Jonesy said, check out an EA iAMP350. The EQ is a bit more drastic and like i said, it has a tonal mojo all its own despite being solid state. But never fear, it has an EQ defeat button for a "flat" response that's great for my upright. I love mine, as its also my main jazz/funk/slap amp.

Its also 15 lbs. compared to the clarus' 8 lbs., but its worth the tone. I dont use it for this cab no more, but it fits nicely ontop of the CXM110.

6. LizzardTom

LizzardTom

Mar 16, 2002
    Hey Peter, Try the cxm 112 cab with your 110. I have the Eden time traveler 110 combo and the cxm112. The 112 makes a big difference. I almost went with the cxm110, but the 12 has much more low end to it. The 10 and 12 sound great together, and they are both small and light weight. I use mine for jazz and blues gigs with bass guitar and URB.