Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Clarus

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rimas, May 9, 2002.

1. Alright. I got a Clarus, and paired it up with a Bag End s15b. I took it for a test drive at my friends house. I didnt crank the volume on the clarus, and was adjusting the pre's on the head, and on My P with flats, quite frequently. At higher volumes, and louder dynamic ranges, I would get a distorted sound, mostly on the E. I was wondering if this was from the clarus, which is not made to play at at extreme tonal ranges.
    Or, because the clarus's frequency output is 20 hz to 20,000 hz, was the distortion coming from the cabinet, with a frequency range of 50 hz to 4, 000 hz.
    Please Help.
    Thanks.

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    woah,

sounds like the same prob that i've been having with my Demeter VTBP-201s preamp. its all tube, and i too have been told about the "overloading the input gain." what the hey does that mean, anyways?

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    A preamp has a series of gain stages. If you overload any one of them the output will be distorted.

If the preamp is designed so that the first gain stage has fixed gain, you can overload it with a hot input signal and the output will be distorted regardless of the volume settings.

Some preamps have LEDs that light up when any of the gain stages overload as a warning.

4. Thanks for the tip. I tried it, I plugged into the low gain input, and its all better. The new P-Bass pick ups must be pretty hot(2002). The clarus manual recomends high gain for all magnetic pickups without active electronics.

Im not too worried about under powering the cab. The guy at Hammond Ashley's in seattle that sold me the rig, uses the same set up, and I know a few TBers have it as well. The clarus puts out >150 watts rms at 8ohms, and the cabine takes 200, with 400 max.

Thanks.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Try this. Turn the volume pot on your bass down. Turn up the amp.

6. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    I think if your Cab is 8 Ohms and you play Loud then your cab is underpowered. I have Clarus , at 8 Ohms is only produce approx 120 Watts, 200 at 4 Ohms , 300 at 2 Ohms. While your cab need perhaps 300Watts at 4 or 8 Ohms. I think play low volume will help.

7. Munji, good call, But the low gain input does the justice I need.

Basuki.
    The newer clarus heads have an updated power section that puts out >150 watts at 8 ohms, >250 watts at 4 ohms, and >360 wattas at 2 ohms.
    The cab needs 200 watts continuous, at 8 ohms.

While still on the topic of the clarus,
    what is a shelving-type eq control. It has them on the bass and treble eqs.

8. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Oregon
    How new is the updated version you speak of? www.urbbob.com still lists the Clarus at 300w @2 ohms, 200w @4 ohms, 120w @8 ohms, and has the Clarus H (high power 600w) as 'on hold'.

9. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    My Clarus has the updated power section. The manual reads 150 watts at 8ohms. I bought mine from Bob Gollihur. My Clarus drives my VL108 nicely. It has plenty of Volume for small Jazz gigs. It's got enough headroom with my Warrior's 18 volt pre-amp to play light Funk. Sounds great too!:)

10. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Shelving eq will boost all frequencies beyond the point that the eq is set. If you have a high frequency shelving eq set at 5000 hz when you boost it you boost everything from 5000 to 20k.
    Other types of eqs make a dip or spike in the freqency with the most extreme change in amplitude at the frequency that the eq is set to. When you boost a non shelving type eq that is set at 5000hz your amplitude might start to drop out at 3000hz and return to whatever amplitude at 7000hz. The most extreme boost would be at 5000 hz and nothing would be affected below 3000hz or above 7000hz. Beer me