Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Clash of musical taste... what to do?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by dmaki, Mar 14, 2002.

1. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    I've been playing with these guys for a few weeks and we're in the midst of writing songs/starting a band (still no drummer though)... but they seem to really want to be just a pop-punk-ish sorta band (with some ska and emo and other offshoots of 90s "punk"). I'm having fun practicing with them and coming up with basslines and working on my timing... and I enjoy this music, but I find it a bit boring and limiting as a bass player, as I'd rather challege myself playing stuff along the lines of Steffan Lessard and such. So I'm not sure what to do... abandon my friends and the music I grew up listening to, or stick it out with them and maybe find other people to play more "musical" things with on the side?

Dave:rolleyes:

PS. if I sound like I'm thinking too much and should just let things roll, feel free to tell me:D

2. you obviously want to become a better musician/bass player...

I say ditch your friends and woodshed...when you start blazin', look for better musicians.

3. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Look for challenges whenever they present themselves. Challenge yourself in this band and shatter the mold of what bass is "supposed" to do in that genre.

Recognize when an opportunity allows you to grow or when it stifles you. Not easy to do, but worthy of consideration before ruling out this current project.

Best of luck. Let us know what happens.

4. hey Jazzbo,

I love your signature!!!

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Ditto TABSAREBLAND.

Which reminds me, I need to get to the 'shed.