1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Class D Acoustic heads: yea or nay?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Uncle Hanky, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Uncle Hanky

Uncle Hanky

May 10, 2017
    Texas
    I tried the search function, but I didn't find much on the new(ish) Acoustic brand class D heads. Does anyone have personal experience with these? I saw a couple at GC today, but I was a bit pressed for time.

I've not been impressed with Acoustic since they became a GC house brand, but...

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Putting something related to your subject in the subject line would help you get useful replies.

3. Uncle Hanky

Uncle Hanky

May 10, 2017
    Texas
    Hey, made ya look.

4. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Didn't make me answer your question, though.

5. Uncle Hanky

Uncle Hanky

May 10, 2017
    Texas
    Well, do you have personal experience with the new Acoustic heads?

6. Uncle Hanky likes this.
  7. Is it bad to say I didn't mind the first Acoustic stuff that came out? I didn't see much but I knew a guy that had a 115 and a head and it sounded good enough. Sure, big and heavy, and I wouldn't call it boutique, but a used lead sled and matching ceramic driver 410 has done me very well for a long time. If I needed cheap gear, I'd be looking for something similar to one of those old amps.

Their newer stuff seems to be more consistently liked, particularly the 112 neodymium cab.

Uncle Hanky likes this.
  8. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    I've got a 1975ish Ampeg V4B (100 watts of tubey goodness) that barely leaves the rehearsal space thesee days, in favor of my Genz Shuttle 6.2 & Streamliner :bassist: The SL is close enough to the Ampeg for moi, & the Shuttle can almost cop the tones of the others, plus go where neither of the other 2 can go.

Inn summary, I'm a fan of what is happening with the Class D heads these days :thumbsup: Using that Spector doesn't hurt the cause, either

20170705_145002. 20170705_143610.

(Edit> how I missed 'Acoustic' in the title, I don't even know :facepalm: )

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    agedhorse and Uncle Hanky like this.
  9. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    The newer prices seem much more reasonable. The build quality looks goods. Default Warranty would say how good factory QC is.
    Sound wise it's subjective. Go spend more time with one. See if the store will let you trade in for something else if it doesn't work out for you in a month.

Uncle Hanky likes this.
  10. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Far West Texas
    I own the Acoustic B600HD and it is a pretty good, loud, and solidly built amp. I really cant say anything bad about it, but I much prefer my TC Electronic, GK, Genz Benz and Ashdown amps. YMMV.

Uncle Hanky likes this.
  11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I wouldn't.

Uncle Hanky likes this.
  12. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    I'd be tempted, but I HATE EQ sliders. Give me a volume and 3 or 4 EQ knobs and I'm a happy camper.

Uncle Hanky likes this.
  13. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    The B300HD doesn't have sliders - but way too many knobs.

Uncle Hanky likes this.
  14. babaseen

babaseen Don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2001
    Boston, MA
    I'm using the 1000W version with Berg cabs for electric bass and love the sound, very powerful. Looks cool too! Seems to be rugged so far, I've had it about a year.

p.s. the Bass Whisperer turned me on to this amp

15. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    I've played them a little bit in GC and they seem pretty cool. Probably wouldn't rise to the top of my "to buy" list, but if you like how they sound and you like the features, go for it.