1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Class D amp on pedal board to use as a DI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brianmharrison, Nov 14, 2018.

1. brianmharrison

brianmharrison

Oct 11, 2007
    Atlanta
    Anyone out there using a small class d amp on their pedal board as a DI?

Thinking of just putting one on my board instead of buying a separate preamp di that way I would have a built in backup amp if I ever needed it

agedhorse and StrangerBasses like this.
  2. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Plenty of people are using Quilter BB800's, Trace Elliot ELF's, and others on pedalboards. Most will run a speaker cable from it, however. You may need to see if the head is okay running with no speaker load on it. Some are prone to overheating.

Zbysek and brianmharrison like this.
  3. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Keep in mind the Quilter does not have a DI though...it has a line out, so the output is affected by the EQ and master volume just like the speaker output.

4. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Correct, technically NOT a DI, but the BB800 can be run with no speaker load like an outboard pre.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    Zbysek likes this.
  5. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I usually use my EBS MicroBass II preamp in such a situation because it has more features than my class D heads...but several times I took my TE ELF instead...just in case there was a backline cabinet provided. It turned out there was no cabinet, so I used the ELF as my DI...

brianmharrison likes this.
  6. brianmharrison

brianmharrison

Oct 11, 2007
    Atlanta
    Awesome. Good to hear someone else is doing this. The only advantage of buying a preamp like a Hartke Bass Attack that I can see is it can hook into a normal pedal power supply versus running a separate power cable for the amp.

Anyone see any other disadvantages of using a class d amp instead of a preamp di pedal?

7. A number of folk on the Genzler list are using their heads as DI’s in ampless settings. Indeed, I read somewhere that the 350 was conceptualized as a DI that happened to also include a 350 power amp section

Zbysek, agedhorse and S-Bigbottom like this.
  8. A DI pedal is smaller and can take a steppin' I would not put an amp on a board in the foot zone.
    But until Mr. Genzler makes The Magellan preamp in a small pedal box I am using the Magellan 800 as my DI also when cabless, sent post for just a bit of the drive goodness all else flat.

Best DI that just happens to have an 800 watt power amp for when you need it. :thumbsup:

Genzler-As-DI-Only-Dingwall.

Genzler-As-A-D-I-one.

9. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    This is the smart answer. :thumbsup:

Also Gallien Krueger MB series are actually put in the back of the stage (where they won't be stepped on) and used as pre's. I've done that.

brianmharrison and S-Bigbottom like this.
  10. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Yes, indeed. Two weeks ago, our violin player got drunk at the concert. He came to me during the show to tell me something. After some time trying to understand what he was saying, I found out that he was actually standing on top of my preamp pedal. The pedal shows no signs of damage!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    S-Bigbottom and brianmharrison like this.
  11. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    Aguilar TH does it.

12. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I don't see any reason not to use class-D amp as a DI.

But I can see reasons to favouring particular dedicated preamp over a class D amp.

In my case, EBS MicroBass II preamp has the following advantages over TE ELF head:
    • two channels
    • mute switch
    • tuner output
    • can be powered from battery
    • can be powered via phantom power through DI
    • can be powered via 9V pedal power
    • pre/post switch
    • parametric mids
    • (over)drive control
    • FX loop (blendable)
    • tube simulator
    • cab simulator

13. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I am not sure I fully understand your plan. Do you intend to leave the amp sitting on your pedal board...just in case your main amp stops working or do you want to use it together with your main amp? If it is the latter, how would you send the signal to your main amp? There is no usable output for these purposes on number of amps. Lets take Trace Elliot ELF as an example: there are three outputs: speaker cabinet, DI and headphones. None of them is suitable for sending signal to different amp, IMO.

The idea with preamps is that they are being used together with the main amp.

They can also help saving your life in case your amp stops working. In such a case, you would send the signal to FOH from the preamp and rely on monitors for stage volume...

14. MyMusic

MyMusic

Jun 1, 2010
    Dover, De
    Mesa Boogie Subway DI-Preamp. Though it's not a pedal it will fit on a pedal board.

Attached Files:

15. brianmharrison

brianmharrison

Oct 11, 2007
    Atlanta
    Yep, I would plan to leave it sitting on my pedal board and have it function as a preamp. I would use the DI to send to FOH (not use in front of another bass amp) and I would have a preamp built in, EQ and a full backup amp if I ever needed it (multi functional and flexibility). I would just have to make sure to find one with a pre/post eq selector like a GK MB200. I've seen those for around $200 used on GC which is about the price of a good preamp.

16. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Just to make sure I understand: there would be no "main" amp, correct? Just your bass, pedalboard and FOH...

17. brianmharrison

brianmharrison

Oct 11, 2007
    Atlanta
    Couldn't you use an unbalanced line out to send to an amp? Might have to be an effects return maybe? Either that or if that would not work, I could get a EHX switchblade+ (or the like) to send signal out of my pedals to my stage amp and the then other channel to the Class D amp.

18. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    You may try to use line out (GK MB200 has one) or FX send (may be-I never tried)... EHX switchblade+ seems to constitute a solution for amps which have neither of them (like TE ELF). In such a case, the (pre)amp would not affect you stage rig.

What confuses me is that the manual for GK MB200 does not mention sending the signal to other amps-it only mentions "personal multitrack recorders" and "GK MBP powered extension cabinets". You might wanna check with the manufacturer...