Class "D" Bass Heads and "Sealed" Cabinets????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shoot-r, Apr 10, 2018.

1. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    I was one of the first to jump on the "D" class micro bass amp band wagon years back, had all kinds of problems with the early one's I owned.

Went back to old school heads for the past 4 or 5 years, (a pair of used Mesa M-6's), LOVE em' but I've put a bunch of miles on them!

There's been some MAJOR improvements made in "D" bass amps recently and I'm thinking of jumping back on that wagon!

I gig a Bergantino NV610 "sealed" cabinet and I'm aware that some heads don't work as well with a sealed cabinet as others do, (I've a G.K. MB2-500 "D" micro that's used as a rehearsal and stay in the truck back-up head. That head and a sealed cabinet is NOT a good combination to my ears.)

So I'm wondering if anyone is working with their micro's into sealed cabinets and what the results are for them.

After much research the two heads I'm leaning towards, Mesa D-800+ or a Aguliar AG-700, but would like to hear of other recommendations also.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  2. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I can't comment on either the D800+ or AG700, but I do own & gig an NV610.
    I have a Demeter VTBP-M-800DJ (tube pre, 800w Class D power) that is known as a fairly tube influenced amp.
    I also have a Fender Studio Bass head (200w all tube), Mesa Walkabout (tube pre/SS power hybrid) and an SVT 6Pro (tube pre/SS power).

To my ears, the NV610 sounds great with the hybrid amps and particularly great with the full tube amp, but not so great with the Demeter. Not exactly sure why, but I think it may have something to do with the damping factor on the tube and hybrid amps that the Demeter class D does not have. The Demeter is (at least to my ears) a very clean, accurate, tight amp, and I have never found those characteristics to play all that great with sealed cabs. This is entirely IMO/IME.

The Mesa D800/D800+ gets great reviews here. I have read a few comments about the AG700, but I don't recall an overall opinion about them.
    Good luck.

3. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois

+1 on the hybrid heads and the Berg 610 cabinets.

My Mesa M-6's are hybrids and "to my ears" sound GREAT through the NV.
    I'd stay with the M-6's, but I've already had one of them rebuilt and the second one could use it now.
    I'm just not sure I want to invest in an aged head or take that money and go to something new.

You've got me thinking I may have to add a hybrid "D" class" G.K. MBF-800 into my considerations also.

4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Sealed cabinets are often highly damped, this can result it an overly tight sound and feel with any head (class D or solid state class AB/G/H) that has a high damping factor. The Carbine damping factor is not. Try high, and the Walkabout is even lower.

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  5. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    O.P. here.

Welp....after alittle more on stage usage of the Bergantino NV610 cabinet and some different heads that we're available to me I'm now pretty convinced the NV610 can sound absolutely incredible with about any head into it.

It sounds GREAT with my Mesa M-6 Carbines.
    And, after alittle tweaking with my Sans Amp Bass Driver into my class "D" G.K. MB2-500, I've managed a sound that I and the band REALLY, REALLY....one more time....REALLY like live, (thank-you Al Kraft for your input on the Sans Amp/G.K. MB combination.)

Can't wait to locate a Mesa 800+ and a Aguliar AG700 for a spin with their upgraded, beefier class "D" power sections!

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  6. I've been running a PF 500 with an 8 10 e for a few months now and it sounds fantastic.

kpc likes this.
  7. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    I run my GK MBFusion 500 into a sealed 2X12 and it sounds as good as any other amp, including the V4B tube amp that mates with it.

8. Bergantino B|AMP with the NV610 speaker profile.

9. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

My Mesa Subway D800 excels with sealed cabinets! Ported cabinets too...no matter. Fantastic amp.

10. +1 to the B|Amp and Berg NV cab. NV215 here, it sounds amazing thru it.

11. I've got a sealed cab and class D head and I love it.

Agedhorse has the knowledge to explain what's up, and possibly guide more discerning ears, but it's a good combo to me.

shoot-r likes this.