Class D Head and 410 Cab for Old School Sound?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Maxfenderbass, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Hey guys, looking to get into the world of small/light amps. I currently have an SVT rig which is great for my hard rock band, but it is a bit overkill for everything else. Outside of my band I play a P bass with flats and am a big fan of the old school sound. I am looking for something with that old school vibe, I know a 15" speaker would be better for that vibe, I just prefer the clarity of 10's.

The only thing on my radar currently is the Aguilar TH500 and SL410x. The Quilter BB800 and Ampeg PF500 are intriguing as well. I will be looking for a cab first as I have my Eden WT400 Head still. It is just a little too hi-fi sounding for what I am looking for. Although I am not getting rid of that thing.

A small tube head would be awesome as well and I do prefer the sound, like the PF 50t. I just don't know if it would be loud enough for club gigs.

Budget isn't really an issue as I'll be looking to get the cab first, then the head a few months down the road.

Does anyone else have any other recommendations?

NKBassman likes this.
  2. joel406

joel406 Inactive

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    I use a Gallien Kruger 410 (2 of them when needed). Mesa subway head. Play a lot of classic rock. Love the headroom. Plenty of low end. Mids and highs right where they should be.

American Standard Jazz.

What’s not to love.

3. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    TH500 was too gritty for me
    Just got an Ashdown; haven't gig'd it yet but looks very promising

I've heard good thing about the Ampeg and Rumble series but no experience

son_of_mogh likes this.
  4. danosix

danosix

May 30, 2012
    Let mebethe first to suggest Ampeg pf (portaflex) series and FenderRumble series... Depends on which old school sound you want, Fender or Ampeg.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  5. danosix

danosix

May 30, 2012
    Oops,still didn't get in under the line.

6. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Happily trending in my own peculiar direction. Supporting Member

I’d look into the Barefaced Four10.
    I have the Two10 and it’s right up that alley in spades.
    Barefaced Bass - Four 10
    Either the MesaD800+ or the Quilter BB800 would complete the package nicely.

If you’re ever near Hamilton/Caledonia area, you can hook up with me and try them all out.
    Cheers.

son_of_mogh, Pbassmanca and lomo like this.
  7. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    If you want a 410, I would look used. Lots of bassists selling them to get light 212s.

MrLenny1 and Pbassmanca like this.
  8. That's awesome, I actually used to go to college in Hamilton so I know the area well. I have heard great things about Barefaced, the only thing is getting them here.

basscapes likes this.
  9. Agreed, I don't mid the lifting weight, as long as it has casters.

10. For sure more of an ampeg guy, never been a Fender Amp Fan.

11. danosix

danosix

May 30, 2012
    There you go. Portaflex, select the model that best fits your volume needs and budget.

12. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Happily trending in my own peculiar direction. Supporting Member

They’re not much more hassle than ordering stuff from the US.
    And a 50lb 410 is way easier to schlep than one in the 90lb Range. My Two10 is the lightest cab I own.

Maxfenderbass likes this.
  13. The question with that is, do I go the class D route or for a smaller tube head? I prefer the sound of tubes as I am used to my SVT, but is the PF50t loud enough? Having the headroom of the PF500 would be awesome. So it comes down to the ultimate question....
    Tone VS Headroom?

The Chuck likes this.
  14. I use a GK MB500 but only at about 250 watts with an 8 ohm Hartke XL series 410. It's more than I ever need since I run to the house PA. We play everything from Zep to VH to Def Leppard to Poison to KISS to, well, you get the idea.

BnB

15. franvarin

franvarin

May 30, 2013
    Rhode Island
    +1 for the Mesa Subway!

I use a Mesa D-800 with an old (90's) Mesa Diesel 4x10 and it is fantastic. I don't know what I'll do when the cab eventually dies! I use a mix of flats and rounds on various basses based on what a specific song needs.

Al Kraft, BassManKK and Loring like this.
  16. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    have you looked at or listened to any Traynor gear?........killer tones, quality built like a tank stuff, made in Canada....
    the sb500h is super powerful, sounds great...I have the 200w version, lots of tonal options

17. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Richlands, NC
    Had a TH500, very old school sounding, too much so for me...I use GK MB Fusion 800s now...3 12AX7s in there, 2 channels, perfect IMHO, for both old and new school tones and anything in between.
    As for cabs, I had a pair of the Aggie DB112s and again, super old school sounding, and again, too much so for me...I use GK NEO 212 and GK NEO 115 now as my main rig.
    I think you will be happy with the TH and Aggie cab.

18. Mesa D800 with a Ampeg SVT410HE. You can find them for under $300 used any day of the week, half sized version of the classic fridge cab.

19. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    Funny you mentioned this about the TH500, I really love mine and it sounds more old school than both GB Shuttle 6.2 and GK MB800 Fusion in the class D amps I have (which is all I have by the way...). Now for the 410, I woulnd't be of any help because I use a 212 with the amps I have.

So I'm of no help sorry. :sour:

Maxfenderbass likes this.
  20. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    If you do go with an all tube head, one with enough output for live work will be heavy.