Class D Power Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rattfink, May 25, 2018.

1. Rattfink

Rattfink

Jan 31, 2014
    Denver,CO USA
    A quick search on the big box web site and I find dozens of light class D power amps in the $399-$499 range. Most are 350-500 watts. My question is do we consider most of these gig worthy? There's a small sample of these available locally for me to try out, I think just the Ampeg and Fender at GC. So, should I buy just what's available, that I can try out, or go out on a limb and order something? I'm abit concerned that some of these might not be so rugged. Your experiences would be appreciated.

2. guitarflinger

guitarflinger Not all who wander are lost Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Front Range, Colorado
    Depends on the gig. Particularly with PA support, all the volume you need is just to hear yourself. 350 Watts with any decent cab will knock you down. Generally we use a lot less than that, just too loud otherwise. On the other hand, if no PA support and a big, or especially an outdoor venue, you will need more Watts/volume. Most of the big tube heads come in right around 300 Watts (Ampeg, Fender) and are plenty loud. 350-500 should be fine.
    Confession - I use Genzler Magellan 800 Watt, but only because I bought before the 350 became available. Fine amps.

3. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Thousands of people have been playing gigs with those amps for 10+ years. Does that answer your question?

4. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Central Ohio
    I believe most touring shows have gone Class D with their power amps.

This is what I use:
    Crest Audio Pro-LITE 3.0 Professional Power Amplifier 3601250

...though I’m NOT shilling for that vendor. Just what I found.

Anyhow, the ProLite 3.0 will pretty much take your head off. You actually have to be careful how you use it. If you need more than that for any live show, I’ll be listening in from the next county over.

mbelue, 10cc, Snowglo and 2 others like this.
  5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    My entire PA runs on class D power. 3 Peavey IPR2 7500’s, and 3 Peavey IPR2 5000’s. These things get used hard, in all sorts of conditions. Never so much as a hiccup.

My bass rig is class D (currently a Bergantino B|Amp, before that a Genzler MG800). Never had an issue, ever.

Snowglo, MDBass, jerry and 2 others like this.
  6. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    I gig a GK MB500 class D head. It's fantastic

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  7. Rattfink

Rattfink

Jan 31, 2014
    Denver,CO USA
    I think I could have figured that much out on my own. However with that said, the reason I ask is, the Fender Rumble 500 I went and looked at yesterday seemed pretty cheep, or lacking much physical durability. I can assume it's going to get dropped and knocked off the cab from time to time.

8. Rattfink

Rattfink

Jan 31, 2014
    Denver,CO USA
    Wow that's inexpensive for such a powerful little amp (but something on the B&H page makes my pc freeze up). How long have you been using it?

bucephylus likes this.
  9. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    I bought one of these: Behringer iNUKE NU1000 Power Amplifier (despite my pledge to avoid anything powered by Behringer) because I needed a spare while my GK was in for repair and I didn't want to shlep my 35-lb LH-1000. Worked fine. Pretty versatile - 300W/channel into 4 Ohms in stereo mode makes it a good match for my 112. ~1000W bridged (yes, I know they're Behringer watts...). 2-Ohm stable in stereo or mono. Light and $150. And that's the 'baby' iNuke...

gitfiddl and Rattfink like this.
  10. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I also use a couple of the Behringer class D amps to drive monitors-a 4 channel INuke 6000 and a 2 channel INuke 3000. No clue about their real wattage, but they run my 5 Yamaha SM12 wedges very nicely. Never had any issues with either amp.

gitfiddl and Rattfink like this.
  11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I played a couple hundred gigs across a pair of Peavey IPR 3000w power amps. One of which is still working fine, although I've moved on to a much pricier custom class D high power amp.

Rattfink likes this.
  12. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Are you wanting info about power amps or heads?

el murdoque, MDBass and MobileHolmes like this.
  13. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Central Ohio
    I’ve had the amp for about 3 years. It replaced a Carvin DCML2000, which was doing just fine. Really didn’t need the Crest.

Sorry about the B&H Page. That’s just what came up on Google.

14. briandavismurph

briandavismurph

Jul 1, 2013
    Chicago
    +1

alaskaleftybass and MobileHolmes like this.
  15. LYNCHMAN

LYNCHMAN

Nov 15, 2017
    Richmond VA
    i'm using the bugera veyron mosfet and it puts out staggering amounts of power...i also have a severe case of gas for a quilter bass block 800...

Zbysek likes this.
  16. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Bergantino-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    ...do you regularly drop electronic equipment and expect it to have no effect on the equipment's functionality?

Artman, delta7fred, mbelue and 9 others like this.
  17. XLunacy

XLunacy

Nov 28, 2013
    France
    There's this company that makes a little 1000W power amp for ~£400 ($530) :

GSS-1000W-Sumo-bass-guitar-guitare-basse-power-amp-Guitar-Sound-Systems-34fa.jpg

Link

They also have a 600W version that costs ~£250 ($330).

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  18. The "older" Genz-benz amps can be found at a good price.

Zbysek and Pilgrim like this.
  19. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Zbysek and agedhorse like this.
  20. XLunacy

XLunacy

Nov 28, 2013
    France
    Fixed the link.

From the website :
    This product can be modified upon request to work over 120V supply:
    Please add "Please ship 120V version" in the comment section while entering your order online and please allow 48 hours prior to shipment for us to modify your purchased product accordingly.
    FCC test reports are currently not available. All shipments to the US are under sole reponsibility of the buyer.

:bag: