Classic 400 Footswitch Update

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nashvillebill, Nov 19, 2005.

1. For all us new owners (or old owners too) that needs a footswitch:

As you know, Peavey's official version is no longer made. They (or you) can modify one of their guitar amp FS, but the price is high ($70 or 90) and it may or may not be labelled correctly.

I got their schematic for the switch, and together with the amp schematic, confirmed the pin-outs needed on the switch. I verified this on my amp tonight.

I got a couple of 7 pin DIN connectors locally yesterday, but they didn't have any DPDT pushbuttons. So I'm going to fab a prototype using a cheap plastic box and some toggle switches, along with a few LED's, to confirm my wiring scheme.

I will order some pushbuttons Monday. While I was hoping to make my final version over the holidays, I may not get the switches in time. Unfortunately the switches are the most expensive part of the deal--genuine Carling pushbuttons ain't cheap....

Why am I posting all this, you may ask....Well several people posted earlier, asking me if I could make a FS for them too. However, I don't have enough cash on hand to buy enough switches to get a price break. (The FS takes 3 switches and I have to order 25 pushbuttons to get the price below $10 a pushbutton). That's 8 footswitches worth; plus DIN connectors, wire, boxes, and LED's, means I'll have sunk about $400 into the operation--and I can't swing that (not after dropping $690 into my new amp). Unless 8 or more people are willing to front me money for their pedals, and then wait a month or two--I don't think you guys would be too keen on that!! So I do not think it would be feasible for me to make a bunch of footswitches...sorry....

Anyhow, I'll make drawings of mine, and when I get done in a week or two, I'll post a followup here. Soldering those tiny little pins on the DIN connector is fun... :rolleyes:
  2. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    This is the note that I received from Peavey on Friday regarding what footswitch will work with the Classis 400 for channel switching.

" The Transtube Special 212 switch should work.
    You would just have to re-label the buttons. Part# 00376410."

I haven't checked the price.

3. That's the switch they told me to rewire :confused: , and I have the wiring diagram they sent me...

Without the switch in front of me I can't confirm whether it'll work as is, but they said "re-wire" in their email...And since the switch is on the Peavey site for $69 (plus shipping) I figure I'd make my own, with a little bit of improvement.
  4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    mine is:

F/S TT Special 212
    0 014367 020274 00376410

it is 7 pinned
    3 switched
    and has a black label with white text for the proper functions.

I've no clue if it was rewired internally or not.
  5. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    When I bought my 400 (now James') it was used, but from a Peavey dealer. I seem to recall looking at (DOWN ATM? The hordes of new Classic 400 owners must have crashed it) for the part number. I ordered it through the store, it was I believe under $30. I did this a while after I bought it, but obviously before I sold it to James. It was not modified in any way. Sorry I can't remember exactly how long ago, that amp is so "4 amps ago" for me ;) .Hope that's some help.
  6. jamesblue

jamesblue Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Central Maryland
    I did a google and found it at $63 dollars at bannas at large and the Peaveys site. Guess if we want one this is the way to go. :(
  7. timv

timv Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Chandler, AZ
    I think you can buy any peavey 3 button footswitch with the 7 pin din style connector and mod it to work. I just purchased a xxx footswitch on ebay that I am going to rewire. I like these because they are in a metal box with a detachable cord so a bit more heavy duty. It also has led's in it already. I will update with my progress...