1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Classic 50's Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lbbc, Oct 19, 2013.

1. lbbc

lbbc Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Seaford , DE
    I'm looking at a Classic 50's Precision bass. I was wondering if anyone out there had one and what you think of it.

2. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    This model has been praised often by many here at TB. But it has a wide nut which some people (including me) do not like. So if you have a chance you should try one before you decide.

3. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Love mine. It’s a 2012 in Honey Blonde. I’m primarily a Jazz player, so the width does take some getting used to, but it’s a terrific instrument.

4. russpurdy

russpurdy

Apr 16, 2013
    Love mine as well. The reverse gear tuners threw me off at first but now I kinda like them. I like instruments with quirks.

5. The neck is something that requires some serious "getting used to", being thick, with a wide nut (1.75"), and the 7.25" radius with vintage frets is something way different than the standard medium frets with the flatter radius, but apart from that, those classic-series instruments are some of the best Fender puts together nowadays, most bang4thebuck for sure!

6. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    The neck on mind isn't that thick, it still has a modernish C shape and not a deep C like the AVRI and Sting models have. I bought one, but didn't really bonded with it. Very good instrument at that price point though.

7. Pattycakes

Pattycakes

Jun 22, 2013
    i've got one and love it. the neck is definitely wide, but doesn't feel particularly thick.

8. WallyN

WallyN

Jan 11, 2013
    Love mine, I have small hands so the neck thickness takes some getting used to. The fit and finish is flawless and the tone is exceptional. I say jump on it!

9. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    You won't find much criticism of the Classic '50s here. I love mine (see avatar). The high crown on the fingerboard took some getting used to, but I LOVE the small frets.

And the neck (I have long fingers and narrow necks make my hand cramp).

And the killer tone.

10. And they look great!

11. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    I have the RW precision, which is the same bass but with Nitro instead of the Poly. To be honest its my fav bass i have ever played. I thought the thick neck would be a hinderance but in the end its my fav part, it just feel right. So much space on the frets.

Buy it!

12. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

Diggin' the '50s Classic. Yes, the 1.75" nut is wide. I generally prefer 1.5", yet this plays nice. A little extra room for the fingers to move around.

Thinking the '57 AVRI would occupy the '50s niche, I foolishly sold mine, only to buy it back a few months later. I drove 200 miles to do it!

Inexpensive, yet super-solid and sounds punchy. Light too. Per Fender Customer Service, the pickup is the same as the pre-2012 American Standard. This is according to the TBer who bought (and sold) mine. I would not hesitate to take this poly-finished bass out of the house...can't say that of the more delicate nitro '57, which lives in its case.

13. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Yeah, these are work horses. I've never hesitated taking mine ('06) to outdoor gigs or not-so-nice venues. Bulletproof! Excellent P-Bass tone, too.

IMG_0977_zps4511bba3.

14. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    I had one for a very short time, like less than 2 weeks. The fit and finish were awesome and I really liked the feel and sound of the maple neck, but my hands just didn't like the 1.75" nut. I sold it in the classifieds to fund the purchase of a similar but different enough bass that I think will be a long term keeper.

There are a couple more of these for sale in the classifieds if you want to buy something used for ~$500 instead of $800ish new.

15. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I did the exact same thing (except for the 200 mile drive part). My AVRI '57 is SO pretty...and in great shape because the '50s goes to the gig with me.:D

Showlow has provided a good summary of the Classic '50s virtues.

FrankstonVFW2.

16. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Mine is a RW, but that's only a finish thing. The neck is wide, but I think some more meat on it would be an improvement. The back is flattened out like Fender does. Make it an aircraft carrier with a real hull, fer chrissakes, Fender!

Aside from that, I love it. It sounds good, it looks like a P and since it is a P, it gets beaten unmercifully and seems to like it. The "relic" job is now real holes in the finish. That's how much it has gotten played in the three years I have had it.

17. tomydacat

tomydacat Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2009
    RVA
    you could try a schecter model T..

18. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Precisions are supposed to have 1 3/4" nuts, IMO.
    Great bass for not much coin; I love mine.

19. CLMSHQ

CLMSHQ

Apr 17, 2007
    Danielson, CT
    If you do not mind the 1.75" nut...GET ONE!

I still love mine and sometimes comes out of the case more than my 08' Am STD Jazz.

Great Bass for the money.

20. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    same specs of the Classic '50s, except that's factory Seymour
    Duncan Quarter Pound equipped, like many of us (me too) tend
    to like, has a regular bridge (wrench screws, not normal ones)
    brass nut, no skunkstripe, vintage open gear "modern rotating"
    machineheads and, with just a vinyl singleply pickguard, hugely
    lighter

Same price... that sure doesn't hurt

Cheers,
    Wallace