1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Classic 60's Jazz solid color vs sunburst body

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bzmnt, Aug 15, 2012.

1. bzmnt

bzmnt

Aug 29, 2010
    Finland
    Hi folks,

I searched a bit about these basses and found a post where somebody stated that sunburst Fender classic 60's jazz bass bodies are two or three piece bodies whereas solid colors (olympic white, black) are normal mexico bodies with more (7-8) pieces glued together as a laminate. If that's the case I would buy the sunburst although OW is my favourite color.

I have confirmed from a friend with 'burst classic 60's that it was two piece. But can anyone tell about solid colors, has someone refinished their classic 60's?

Answers much appreciated :)

Cheers,

bazement

2. jwj1701

jwj1701

Nov 17, 2011
    Lexington KY
    Ok, maybe my ears aren't as good as everyone else's but I could'nt tell you what 2 piece's of wood sounds like compared to the sound of 7 pieces. You like white, get the white.

3. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    It doesn't matter. Just take every bass by it's own tonal merrits, not a suspicion.
    I have one of these 60's Classic Jazz in burgundy mist (yeah solid color), and it's an absolute killer sounding Jazz. Especially when I have a real '69 J to compare it to. It's definitely rivaled in tone to any US RI I previously owned.

4. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I was gonna say...what difference does it make?

5. bzmnt

bzmnt

Aug 29, 2010
    Finland
    Yeah, it is more of a psychological thing for sure... But I still don't know the answer exactly :) thanks anyway so far!