1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Classic Ampeg sound in a pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gotly, Feb 22, 2021.

1. gotly

gotly

Jun 28, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    I have a smattering of gear from various ventures and bands. Lately I'm doing the P-Bass on flats thing and don't see myself changing for a while. I've been trying to dial in a sound I hear in my head and found it with the Ampeg SVTR Classic plugin for Ableton Live.

I have:
    • Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0
    • Sansamp Bass Fly Rig
    • Mesa Subway 2x10 and 1x15
    I had it in the back of my head to eventually get a WD-800 or TT-800 but (before lockdown) the group I play with always seems to play at places with a backline so I only brought my Sansamp for really basic tone shaping and a tuner.

My Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 is fine I guess. I never loved the sound that came out of it by default and always used pedals to make it what I wanted. The WD-800 is an improvement but not really the tone I'm after anymore. I have access to an ancient Mesa/Boogie Bass 400+ and an Ampeg 4x10 at my rehearsal space and at band practice but the Genz Benz gets used live since it's so much easier to haul around.

The Sansamp just doesn't quite hit that tone I've found with the plugin. It's all in the headphones for the moment. Fingers crossed Covid ends soon.

Is it as simple as grabbing the Ampeg SCR DI and a tuner? I have a lot of "modern" sounding gear and keep having to fight it to get the right tube-y vintage tone I want.

2. Evil_Druid

Evil_Druid

May 9, 2016
    San Diego
    I've heard great things about the 20 watt ampeg portaflex valve amps for DI and live tones
    Other than that, probably the Broughton SV-Pre. I love mine but it was a gamble trying to get one

macmanlou likes this.
  3. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    The Sushi Box Slampegg is really nice and it does a great job at the Ampeg thing. The SV-pre was good as well. hard to come by though.

macmanlou likes this.
  4. Peaveylover

Peaveylover Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2019
    where are my Super 300 bros when you're needed?

bassjam, Fuzzbass and Joris 55 like this.
  5. There's another Ampeg In A Box thread, well, titled as such, but it has basically become a thread about one pedal in particular.

Found it. Here 'tis: THE Pedals for the SVT Sound

Better than sliced bread, beats the second coming...

PS: Peaveylover's post above, that's the one.

Fuzzbass, gotly and Peaveylover like this.
  6. chanson

chanson Supporting Member

Which Sansamp are you using? The VT? That would be my recommendation.

7. Kestrel

Kestrel

Sep 21, 2009
    The Ampeg SCR-DI is based on Ampeg’s BA series amps. I wouldn’t go so far as saying that it gets you that SVT sound, but it’s definitely gets you an Ampeg tone. I don’t much care for the Scrambler circuit on the SCR-DI, but otherwise it’s a solid unit.

BassToGoGo, Fuzzbass, bdplaid and 3 others like this.
  8. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Agreed on the SCR-DI, and a separate Scrambler pedal pedal works better due to more available adjustments.

Kestrel likes this.
  9. gotly

gotly

Jun 28, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    I have the bass fly rig.

Yeah I don't care much about the scrambler circuit but more loving the aux in, headphone jack and DI from the SCR-DI. I'd rather have a good pedal for live stuff than yet another headphone amp.

Super 300, this one? https://mastereffects.wixsite.com/mastereffects/buy-now-bass

Zooberwerx and Fuzzbass like this.
  10. The latest generation of modelers are actually pretty good. Maybe an hx stomp would do the trick

11. gotly

gotly

Jun 28, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    I've seen these before but they seem super overkill for me and also seem guitar-centered. Are they even made for bassists?

12. you should be able to get something close with the Shuttle controls...tweak a bit on it and see if driving the gain a bunch helps get you where you want to go ? boost the 1khz or so, bring down the treble ?

13. All the new modelers have a decent amount of bass stuff. And ampeg being the classic bass amp company it is, all of these companies making modelers have ampeg models. The hx stomp has 4 ampeg models(really three because two of them are just different channels of the same amp)

14. MojaveVox

MojaveVox Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2016
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    When I had one a SansAmp BDDI/RBI or RPM can nail an SVT sound fairly well, though I personally think it's better an emulating a Bassman. I've also heard good things about the VT as well.

15. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    VT Bass, but I'm also not hep to more current options.

REV likes this.
  16. Col Pruse

Col Pruse Supporting Member

May 28, 2003
    Savannah, GA
    Yep. Check out the thread Feral Feline posted. Bunch of ampeg-like options.

17. gtirard

gtirard

Feb 22, 2020
    Paris, France
    It comes with mainly guitar default presets, and there's a few bass preset but they're not good. But can create your own presets easily, and you've got everything you need, especially Ampeg amp models (SVT etc.).

You can download many great (free) bass presets here: Home - Dr Tone's Secret Helix Lab

18. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Inactive

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody notices
    Classic pre might get you closer. The scr di has this weird twang thing about it that I just don't like.

gotly likes this.
  19. gotly

gotly

Jun 28, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    this thing? Shame it’s just a pedal and not a full fledged DI. Ampeg Classic Analog Bass Preamp Pedal

20. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Exactly what I would say. And I don't think any pedal actually gets an SVT sound, because IMO that really hinges on the 810 cab. But I like the SCRDI so much, after I sold my first one, I bought another because I missed it. It's not SVT, but definitely deep, deep Ampeg.

Note that the Classic pedal pre is NOT the same.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021