1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Classic Ampeg sound in a pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gotly, Feb 22, 2021 at 6:16 PM.

1. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    This sounds totally different. The Ampeg sound is only in the scrdi.

2. I hear that every year since Zoom 505…

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I'm a fan of Tech 21: great analog tube emulation, including SVT tones. Isn't just the VT variants, either... the SH-1 (Steve Harris pedal) can sound Ampeggy. There are a bunch of other companies (including Ampeg, go figure ;)) that also try to get to that promised land, but I haven't tried them all, not remotely close.

I ordered one of these, partly because of the feature set, and partly because some TBers I trust have said it excels at overdriven SVT tones, which is what I'm looking for (moderate overdrive, anyway). The latest batch is progress but won't be completed until the end of the month, so I can't yet comment personally.

bassjam likes this.
  4. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Which Ampeg? There’s the SVT, the V-4B, the BA series, and the B-15 sound.

My recommendations:

SVT: Broughton Audio SV-Pre

B-15: Broughton Audio Fliptop; Sushi Box Slampegg Bee; Barber Linden EQ.

BA series: Ampeg SCR/DI

5. AsherC

AsherC

Jun 15, 2016
    I love my Darkglass Vintage Deluxe to add some (or A LOT of) grit.

Fuzzbass likes this.
  6. I don't believe you. The 505 was objectively trash even in its day.

Signed- multiuser

7. RissKippery

RissKippery

Mar 3, 2016
    Catalinbread SFT is Ampeg SVT inspired. It’s an overdrive. Think ‘Get Yer Ya-ya’s Out’ by the Stones.

zoonose likes this.
  8. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    Man - my paradriver with a cut at 750-800 does it for me. Goose it with a compressor in front - halfway there livin' on a prayer!

Fuzzbass likes this.
  9. gotly

gotly

Jun 28, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    The SVT sound.
    As I was saying in my original post, the Ampeg sound I found from a software plugin is exactly what I want from a pedal. It doesn’t need a 8x10 fridge because I’m only playing with headphones these days. If there’s a pedal that can do what the plug-in is doing, I want to buy that pedal.

10. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
    This has been my experience as well. The Slampegg Bee uses a tube, which sounds more like the "real thing" to my ears.

If you don't mind the size and price, the Broughton P15 nails the B-15 sound really nicely as well.

broughton p15.jpg

gh0st42 likes this.
  11. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
    Then I'd go with the Broughton SV-Pre and a Shift-Line CabZone X for the cab and power amp sims.

sv-pre.jpg CabZone_X_1680.jpg

TheLopp, gh0st42 and gotly like this.
  12. I have an SFT. Does it sound like an SVT(or any Ampeg)? I don't know, but I like it a lot!

RissKippery likes this.
  13. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Inactive

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody notices
  14. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Inactive

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    You should edit that statement.

I have both. The classic pre sounds a lot like the micro vr. Except with high and low buttons. The scr doesn't even get near a portaflex, and gets nowhere near an SVT. It's probably the most unique sounding peice of equipment ampeg has ever made.

15. anightintunisia

anightintunisia Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    I like the first gen VT character pedal... Extremely useful and responds well to the tone control. I can get some music out of it.

16. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Same here. I traded an under-used pedal for a DSM Mini OmniCabSim and stuck it on the tail-end of the BFR...it really sounds good, better than expected. If the Bass Fly Rig is close, the DSM is a relatively inexpensive way to ice-the-cupcake.

Riis

Attached Files:

17. Oh I know. I’m almost 40. Been hearing it for years also. But stuff like the helix, fractal, kemper, and Quad cortex are way beyond the pod 2.0 days

18. AceOfBassFace

AceOfBassFace

Jun 23, 2019
    Toronto
    I just got the Sansamp VT Bass DI last night - played with it for about 3 hours and really happy with it so far. It's been 20 years since I had an actual SVT & fridge and this gets pretty close in my opinion. I'm playing through studio monitors and headphones right now so I was really wanting something with a cab sim. With a bit of reverb, this pedal sounds like an amp & cab is right in the room with you - it really has that 'bigness' in the mix that an SVT and 810 has. Kinda like the bass doesn't even need to be that loud to cut through.

I have a BDDI & an EBS ValveDrive too, the BDDI has its own thing but doesn't come close to an SVT sound. The EBS actually sounds quite similar in character to the VT Bass but doesn't have the cab sim so the high end is a bit too fizzy sounding direct. That pedal really came to life in front of the VT bass - much more realistic combined with the amp/cab sim.

Of course the real test is getting out into a live situation with a full band - so we'll see if I still like it once we all get back to playing live.

eriky4003 and Fuzzbass like this.
  19. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    I had or have both and stand by the statement. Neither sound like an svt, but honestly, other than an svt, what does? Ampeg is known for a very deep tone, with a characteristic midrange and top end that's kinda clanky and that's what the scrdi sounds like. Not so the classic preamp. If you like both, fine, just don't think as I did that the classic pre is the same as the pre from the scrdi. They're different.

2saddleslab likes this.
  20. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Inactive

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    What? Bro, the "ampeg sound" is warm, round, and big.

What's the ampeg sound? Answer: Huge.

The scr di, sounds small and thin. It's the only ampeg product I've ever owned, that doesn't sound like an ampeg.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021