Classic Bass Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wesley R, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

Thank you in advance for time and attention.
    Lets assume for a while that amps like the Ampeg B15N, &F, SVT, Acoustic 360 and several other amps from that era were/are what many would call classics. I belive this is beecause of the durabilty and sound (granted old by current standards).
    Which amps are the new classics? I know it's a guess at best and simply is an opinion.

Thank You,
    Wesley R.
  2. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Mesa 400+
    Eden WT800
  3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    EA iAMP 800
    Walter Woods Ultra
    Mesa Boogie Walkabout
    Aguilar DB 680/728
  4. danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    I thinks the GK 1001-RB version I and II are destined to be as they are bocoming more and more pipular.
    To the old list mabye add the GK 800RB.

5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I actually don't believe in classic bass amps. For me the best bass amps are the ones being made right now, and in 20 years I'll probably feel the same way about the bass amps being made then.
  6. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Peavey's Classic 400 will become a highly sought after amp and appreciate in value over the next 10-20 years IMO.

7. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    My criterior for a classic for it's era would be number one: Fairly common, yeah Glockenlag Souls are great amps but far out of the reach of most players. Number two: They ushered in new features or sound: The Avatar stuffis great for the money but not really innovative, Where as the Hartke 4 X 10 changed the business. Number three:They are associated with the Music of the Era, Ampeg B 15's deffinently qualify for the sixties!
    Now My list : Eden Traveler, first highly portable, modearatly priced, high power head.
    SWR Goliath: Changed the market and made "paper" 4 X 10's popular again.
    Eden 210XLT: proved you don't need a huge cabinet to move a lot of air
    Epi 310UL: openend up the light weight cabinet market!
    Line Six Bass POD:I would never own one but they deffinently brought modeling technonolgy to bass players
    Thats my list for now, there is plenty of stuff out there that maybe "better" than these "classics", but do they have the "impact" that these have had?
  8. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Behringer BX3000T(yeah right)!!! :D :p :eek: Sorry I had to do that! Can't believe that nobody else beat me to it... Muhahahahahah!
  9. rrybicki

rrybicki Innocent Bystander Supporting Member

Let's not forget the SWR SM-400.

10. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Hmmmm... Bergantino and Schrodinger come to mind...
  11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Great Head! You ever sell yours? I would have bought it to keep as a spare if I had the cash.
  12. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Anybody remember this little dynamo?
  13. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    Ampeg B15

Great tone is great tone. It won't do everything, but what it does is sooo nice. Ask your friendly neighborhood recording studio.
  14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    WT-300 (it's modeled on the Bass POD)
    DB 750
    400+ (you didn't see it here)
  15. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    I'll add an updated classic - Thunderfunk TFB-420.
  16. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I agree that at least one Eden head should be on this list. Eden played a big role, from what I can tell, in moving bass players into more "high end" gear. The WT-800 seems like the logical choice for the "classic head", but my favorite Eden head so far is the WT-550.
  17. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    adding on to whats already been said...

swr redhead
    demeter vtb 201s preamp
  18. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    If classic means standing the test of time, I'd have to add the original GK 400RB. I have one that was made in '83 and it still works flawlessly. I have it stashed behind the seat in my truck as a backup amp and every now and then, I break it out and play a gig with it. Works perfectly. Loud for its modest wattage ratings, it's a clean sounding amp but its real strength is its durability. I've actually never heard of one failing! I'm talking about the old ones, mind you.

This is the second old one I've owned. I foolishly sold the other one and recently got the '83 from a "vintage" player! ;)

No experience with the newer GK stuff.
  19. realdeal

realdeal Banned

Dec 10, 2004
  20. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    GK MB150
    SWR Baby Blue
    Peavey Databass (I think this is one amp that got sorely overlooked, and as we move towards smaller and more powerful, this will be seen as one of the first.)