Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Classic dub: How was the bass recorded?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by tightbidness, Feb 10, 2004.

1. How did they record the bass sounds on classic dubs from the '70s and '80s? Two albums I'm particularly curious about are Augustus Pablo Meets Rockers Uptown and Black Uhuru's Dub Factor. Did they typically go direct or mic an amplifier? The dub scrolls site has excellent information, but I'd like to know even more about specific techniques and equipment. Thanks.

2. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Dub Factor sounds to me like it was recorded direct. I don't know for sure, but that is what my ears tell me.

3. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    A lot of the 70's stuff done by Lee Perry was on incredibly primitive gear. A ton of it was recoded on a Teac 1/4" 4 track (just like the one currently residing in my kitchen) with a board that Lee perry salvaged from a British radio station. Everything was fully echoplexed (which probably ended up being used like a pre) and it's just all about flesh on Flatwounds, nice compression and rollling off the treble. Early Sly & Ribbie was done with a Hofner violin bass, but of course a lot of dub stuff was on Fender basses. In my experience, the flatwounds are a major step towarfs that tone.

Warning: if you're just starting to get into dub, be prepared to dedicate and increasingly worrisome portion of your income to that pursuit. I've got so much of that stuff that I can no longer keep it all straight.

4. Thanks guys. I listened to Dub Factor this evening, and through headphones it does sound like the bass went direct. I guess the combination of EQ, compression, flatwounds, and incredible production and technique add up to killer bass sounds.

Corinpills, if you're refering to an increasing portion of income going to recordings, well, that has already started. The genre is overwhelming though. There is so much music out there.

Funny you mention Lee Perry, because I haven't gotten into his music yet. The Perry tracks I've heard are bizarre and at times even abrasive. His personality seems to overwhelm the music or something. Any albums you'd recommend for the uninitiated listener?

5. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    As for Lee Perry, I have a few of his records. The Arkology box set is pretty good. It covers alot of ground. There are all sorts of different players and mixes on it..

I also have "Jamacian ET." It is interesting but it really did not do much for me.