Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Classic guitars: Fender or Gibson?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Jul 6, 2005.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hi everybody.

Speaking of electric guitars, these two brands have been consistently present from long time ago, and both of them have their own qualities. I'd like to know which one do you prefer, trying to be very general. I mean, It doesn't matter to me if it's a Stratocaster, Telecaster, Les Paul, SG... just your preference on these two venerable brands. I go for Gibsons. Not only because of their looks, but because that's the sound I associate with my favorite players. Besides, Gibson guitars have a shorter scale length than Fenders, which result in a less twangy sound and easier string bendings. Of course there are great examples of the Fender sound, being Stevie Ray Vaughan my favorite, but I feel more sympathy for Gibsons, anyway. Something that I've been curious is why Gibson couldn't put in the market a bass as respectable as a Les Paul guitar. Of course there are the well-known Thunderbirds, but Gibson basses haven't had such an impact compared with Fenders. Thanks for voting!

2. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Fender for me thank you. Fat Strat Texas Special to be precise. Two extra wound single coils and a Pearly Gates humbucker. Yummy tone for miles.

3. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Gibson. Even though I love the sound of a tele w/ hot pickups. I've just associated Gibson with greatness ever since playing guitar. I just love the way that the action is on them (err... mine?). I enjoy Les Pauls and ES-335s greatly. Plus, humbuckers. Man... humbuckers. Revolutionary.

EDIT: Fender Thinline Teles are my favorite Fender model if that means anything. And they have humbuckers...

4. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Forgot to mention (and just in case): I don't play guitar! It's just that I also like and respect this instrument so much.

5. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I love the gibson sound.

6. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Didn't even consider the 335s and hollowbody Gibsons. No fair! I may have to change my vote....

7. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

You haven't voted yet... :)

8. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Oh yeah, I just spoke my opinion. Very similar to election time here in the USA. Off to the polls...

9. Gibson all the way. Fenders , no matter what, always sound way too thin to me. Though I also have a soft spot for Gretsch Guitars. :)

10. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    All my favorite Rock/Metal guitarists use Gibsons. Matt Pike, Jimi Paige, Cream-era Clapton, Tim Sult. Shoot I don't even mind if Zak Wylde uses them (plays boring metal riff with a million artificial harmonics) :bassist:

The Tele is the sound for country. Though I often prefer more old-tymey, quasi bluesgrass/acoustic country.

11. Gibson guitars > Fender guitars
    Fender basses > Gibson basses

12. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I voted Gibson. IMO, having the 335s really helps close the deal. The LP & SG are great on their own, but factor in that they also make the 335. They win-if we're only including Gibson Branded and Fender Branded guitars......not the other brands that the companies own.

I do have a spot for Fenders, but if forced to chose-i pick Gibson for Guitars.

That's all

13. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    Between the two, my choice is definitely Gibson. Not the Les Paul, but the ES-335 and the other guitars like it. Solidbody guitars never did anything for me.

One day, when I can justify buying myself an electric guitar, it will be either a Gibson or a Gretsch. One of my favorites was a Gretsch 6120 that my father used to play in the 60's and that my older brother now owns.

14. I prefer the Gibson HH tone and love the look of the Les Paul, so it gets my vote. However, the Strat is a terrific playing guitar. My guitarist has a Les Paul and a MIA Strat, and the Strat just feels better (and lighter). Teles are amazing as well.

15. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Definitely Fender (I'm more of a clean-channel, single coil guy).

I do like the Gibson ES-335/355/etc, though.

16. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I was a strat guy for years,but my last electric was a 335, and that was it!

17. +1

18. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Connecticut
    I've personally always dug Fender guitars. I own an American strat that I use for playing bluesy type stuff, and I've always liked the tone (the 5 way pickup switch doesn't hurt either).

On the other hand, Gibson Flying V's have always caught my eye...even though they're beastly trying to play sitting down ;)

19. I figured you were primarily considering solid body electric guitars, so I voted Fender. I love my Strat and my Tele. They are simple, foolproof, cheap, very useful in a bar fight and the tone is pure and sweet with Fralins and Rio Grandes. I am not a fan of solid body humbucker guitars. Now an older Les Paul with P-90s, or any guitar with P-90s would get my vote. Most Les Pauls and SGs are too muddy for me and the Les Pauls weigh more than my bass.

However, I would love to have a Gibson Super 400, L5 or Johnny Smith. Merle Travis played a Super 400, Wes Montgomery played an L5 and Johnny Smith, of course, played a Johnny Smith model. If only I had one of those guitars, my playing would be on a par with my heros. Currently I am lusting after an older Gretsch in my favorite shop so I can play just like Chet. Sarcasm aside, I really do love those three Gibsons.

20. Isn't a classic guitar one with nylon strings? ;)