Classic Jazz copies. Help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eilif, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    I am considering a low cost Jazz copy, and I have 2 possibilities
    The first is an Essex. you can see it at|940496&PRID=1051077

the second is the squire Jazz Bass in sunburst. I'm sure you all have seen it.

I want the classic Jazz look, in a sunburst or a natural, and the to keep the cost under 225.

Which one?
    Is the squire worth 60 bucks more? (squire=220, Essex=160)

Also, are there other alternatives? I picked up on Essex, b/c it has gotten good reviews here and elsewhere, and it has cool block inlays on the neck.
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    The Essex looks pretty sweet. I know Nino has one, which he upgraded with american Fender pickups.
  3. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yeah, it looks pretty sweet. Solid ash body, and maple board. I know what i'd take.
  4. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    ash w/maple board (WITH BLOCK INLAYS) vs what - pine? with a rosewood board?!

no contest. essex. put a toirtoiseshell guard on there and JAM!

JESUS CHRIST!!! i just checked the weight of the essex...17lbs!!!!! think that's right?

5. Hey, maybe if I post in this thread, someone will answer...

I was at a local music store (near Vancouver, BC) and there were two 1964 jazz bass replicas made by Tokai. I'm trying to get some information about these basses. Apparently, Tokai used to make better Fenders than Fender.

Anyways, to answer your question, these basses might be worth investigating. I'm not sure where you can get them but these basses looked and felt great in the store.

They looked like the 1960's jazz bass that is advertised in the Frontline 2002 catalogue.
  6. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
  7. I've read those several times already...but thanks.

I emailed Big Wheel about his warning about Tokai basses. (Ooops, didn't I just recommend looking at Tokais?)

Anyways, it's caveat emptor but I still think they are worth investigating.
  8. The early Tokais are supposed to be similar to the JV (82-84) Squiers in quality, i e better than American Fenders of the same era. I've got one of them early Squiers, and it's brilliant, and the Tokais I've tried have felt real solid as well. They're definately worthy of consideration if you're looking for a vintage Fender vibe, but are on a budget. They're probably better than the "budget copies" produced today.
    I'd like a Tokai "Hard Puncher" (maple necked P) myself. If I could only find one...