1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

(Classic) literature you can't stand.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dan Molina, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I remember being forced to read The Catcher in the Rye in high school and hating every minute of it. My idea of great literature does not include 200+ pages of constant whining.

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I hated To Kill a Mockingbird.

However, I love Hamlet. Absolutely incredible play!

3. Let see;

The great gatsby - while a fine novel one would hope it's certainly not the best a country could produce.
    Shakespeare - Terrible! It's boring, formulaic and predictable.
    Dickens - I'm sorry, boring, unnessecary chapters, characters and tangents.
    Dracula - Seriously was scary and great - introduce Van Helsing and its like boredom central

4. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    + a billion. i read it a few years ago, and was quite disappointed.
    i was not a fan of 'native son,' either.

5. AdlerAugen

AdlerAugen

Aug 9, 2006
    Walden. By thoreau or however you spell it.

6. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    I was not a fan of The Great Gatsby so much either.

7. "Great Expectations" - 10 pages in, and all I wanted to do was kick Pip's @$$ for being a whiny nebbish. :spit:

8. Scarlet Fire

Scarlet Fire

Mar 31, 2007
    New England
    "The Scarlet Letter". Why would you ever want to write in the Ornate Style?

9. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Anything by Dan Brown or JK Rowling.

Don't ever try to tell me that crap will be considered a "modern classic". :)

10. Yep. Dickens was paid by the word for his books.

What a jerk

11. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader" Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    i was gonna write the same thing when I saw the thread.
    that character needed to shut up.:bassist:

12. I was not much of a fan of The Great Gatsby, actually I can't really remember too much of it anymore. We were made to analyse it, its meaning, motifs and how it comments on the American Dream or something like that. I'm positive I would have enjoyed it more if I wasn't forced to analyse it.

I also had to read To Kill A Mockingbird, I just thought that really that the narrative wasn't that great.

13. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Moby Dick bored the hell out of me. War and Peace could stand to lose about 300-400 of it's 1400 pages.

I'm about 50/50 on For Whom the Bell Tolls.

14. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    anna karenina

*spoiler*
    Oh noo, my life sucks, I ma kill myself... oh choochoo train... Oh shut up biooootch! She should have jumped on page 3 and saved me some freaken time...

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Catcher in the rye is good but people ruined it for me. Too many wannabe rebels that preached that the book explained their life.

><

16. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    "The Catcher in the Rye" sounds like a piece of proto-emo literature!

17. Great Gatsby
    Catcher in the Rye
    Paradise Lost

18. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    Now THAT'S funny. Hello, brainiac, Shakespeare is formulaic because he invented the formulas.

Juliet takes fake death potion, Romeo whacks himself in anguish, Juliet awakes and promptly offs herself. At the time it was the equivalent of throwing Danielle Steel into a quaker church.

And +1 to Gatsby sucking, and I'll add A Place In The Sun. Those whining cross class BS melodramas all make me nauseous. Dicken's Hard Times is possibly the most unreadable book ever written in any language. It's always the same character flaw of caste exclusivity driving the whole thing making me care exactly zero about any of the people in the story. Screw the poor ones for being whining needy losers, screw the rich ones for being arrogant classless morons.

I am however surprised to see something as thoughtful and moving as Walden to be on this list.

19. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Chaucer's Canterbury Tales were rough, but at least The Miller's Tale had some humor in it.

20. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Hmm, I liked the Catcher in the Rye. Maybe because I wasn't forced to read it in school and I was the right age (7th or 8th grade) for it to speak to me. Maybe I should re-read it as an adult.

Some things I really hated reading? The two Jane Austin books I had to read were both miserable.

But the book I hated the most (and still do) was Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. It was a miserable enough reading experience, but the fact that we spent more time on it junior year than any other book was just ridiculous. For that matter I hated her sister's book too. Just seeing Jane Eyre or Wuthering Heights at a book store starts making me angry.