1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Classic look, less money!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by recreate.me, May 4, 2010.

1. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    So for about a year I have been playing a Squier VM Jazz bass, and i love it! Before that my first bass was the Squier VM P bass, but i just didn't like how the fretboard felt.

Here I am about a year and a half later and i want the Precision sound, with that classic 60's look but the twist was i wanted a Jazz neck!

I thought it would be fun to share how i made that happen!

Step 1: I acquired a a loaded Fender MIM Precision body from eBay (new). This was Black with a white pickguard.

Step 2: I also purchased accessories from eBay, which was a red tort pickguard, a Gotoh bridge and a bridge cover to give it that classic shine and hide the modern Gotoh haha

When these all arrived i still hadn't received a neck so for a about 2 weeks (even played a show!) i tossed on my VM jazz neck and it fit perfectly!

The neck I ordered was a Mighty Mite Jazz neck, it arrived yesterday and i was able to pull the tuners off the VM bass and fitted the new neck. I was ready to sand down the MM neck as lots of folks here said they may not fit a MIM body, BUT i tried and it fit perfectly with alteration! So i drilled the holes and she was all done!

My new bass is a wonderful Precision, Red tort pickguard, black body, rosewood neck and gotoh bridge and cover!

The last step will be a set up, and perhaps down the line a set of SD antiquity pickups!

I would say that this MM neck is nicer then any of the MIM necks i have played, its so smooth and the fretwork seems very well done. It was listed as 2 1/2" in the pocket, and it fit a MIM fender with no issues.

My one drawback - when installing the tuners and string tree I kinda rushed through it and ended up striping the screws, sigh, the tuners are on and working great, i will just have trouble changing them haha

EDIT: So I havent found a host that works i only have flickr right now, you can take a looks at the bass here cause no pics, no bass! NBD - Black and Tort Precison

2. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Looks cool man!

So are you going to put the Jazz back together??? you used the tuners from it, right?

Your P kinda reminds me of my 1962 :p you should amber the neck/headstock
    (I couldn't resist, sorry)
    Fender1962Bass03.

3. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    Oh yeah totally putting the VM jazz back together, i just need a neck plate and screws and a set of tuners. The VM jazz neck is the best neck i have played. i love it it just doesnt look right on a black and tort P though.

Oh man, thats totally what i was after! I wanted that 62 Precision class. Any tips on 'ambering' the headstock and neck ?

4. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I'd try a search for it around here or Luthier's Corner. Reranch makes a spray I believe, that you can put on right over the existing wood...

there are a few threads about it somewhere. Sharp looking basses though you got there

5. the art guy

the art guy Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Iowa
    Black and tort is just such an awesome, classy look. Nicely done.

6. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    Okay, so i did a bit of searching and really, it looks like a lot of work to go that route and with a week of curing time i cant manage that at the moment. (plus stripping the screws on the tuners puts me in a pickle!)

So i began this thread titled Will Sunlight age a maple next? Discussion and Experiment

Basically i am testing an easier way of ambering that is still up in the air; the ability for sunlight to amber a neck. Check it out, it might save lots of people without tech skills lots of frustration!