Classic Movie Soundtracks

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bassline1414, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Hello gents and ladies,
    I've been getting into soundtracks from older movies/television series lately, most notably Henry Mancini scores such as "Peter Gunn" and "Pink Panther" and some Burt Bacharach things like "Butch Cassidy". I also LOVE Nino Rota's score on the "Godfather" series. Can anybody recommend some more great film and television soundtracks?
  2. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    yeah "The Godfather" soundtrack is Awesome. I can't recommend any soundtracks directly, but anything by John Williams (Indiana Jones, Star Wars, etc.) is deffinantly worth listening too.
  3. The soundtrack to Batman Returns is very good. By Danny Elfman of course.
  4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

One of the all time best and multiply awarded soundtracks is Victory at Sea. Incredibly powerful and beautiful music as a backdrop to the TV series about the Pacific theater of World War II.

The soundtrack to the movie versions of South Pacific and West Side Story gave me many hours of listening pleasure.

For kitsch, I gotta say I loved the soundtracks to all the Rocky Stallone boxing series. I have to add that Miami Vice had some pretty cool music for its time.

Gee, there are so many, I need more time to give the question more time to think.
  5. Boplicity

Dang! I just thought of one of my fave Henry Mancini soundtracks. A song from it has recently been ressurrected in a Ralph Lauren TV ad. The sountrack I refer to is Henry Mancini's Hartari. WHile I really like the Pink panther soundtracks, especially the first one, Hatari remains my all time favorite.

For older TV soundtracks, Mike Post's music has won several awards. His music to Hill Street Blues is probably the most sucessful.
  6. Boplicity

Dang! My mind is buzzing now. Have you listened to the music from the great spaghetti Westerns? I think the writer was named Morricone or something similar. I'm thinking of movies such as "High Plains Drifter". But one of the most haunting soundtracks is the music from the Western Once Upon a Time in the West.

You may prefer jazzier soundtracks than the Western music. If you can ever find it, because it is quite old now, the music from La Dolce Vita, a 1950s Italian movie was Italian jazz. It is hard to beat for coolness.

Another track that might interest you is the Chuck Mangione track to the original Night of the Condor movie.

Another Mancini track, (I think it was Mancini), is the achingly melancholy track to the Jack Lemmon movie Days of Wine and Roses.

Lastly, check out the soundtracks to early James Bond movies. I especially like the Bond flick LIve and Let Die.
  7. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Th original "Shaft" and "Snatch".
  8. Hmm..."Shaft" and "Snatch"...there's a joke right there but it's not appropriate for Talkbass. :D

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to check these soundtracks out.
  9. I mean scored or composed...not a compilation of pop music (or whatever genre can be associated with the movie).
  10. Boplicity

Most of the older movies and TV shows were not collections of pop songs, but were actually "scored" in the original sense. In fact, as I recall, "Miami Vice" was one of the first TV shows to integrate current pop music in the score.

"Flashdance" and "Top Gun" were two movies that scored big with pop compilation soundtracks, spurring numerous movies to follow suit in an attempt to cash in on a high selling soundtrack CD. Many were not nearly as successful as "Flashdance."

Now an even more insidious practice has ensued...compilations of pop songs allegedly from the movie, but the songs can't even be heard in the movie! If you are lucky, the songs play while the credits run. Who waits around for the credits, though?

Not all pop compilation soundtracks are bad, though. I have both of the Blues Brothers soundtracks and I really enjoyed the first "The Crow" soundtrack, but not the second one. I even liked the Tom Cruise "Mission Impossible" soundtrack, the one with Limp Bizkit's version of the well know theme.

One recent soundtrack that I consider to be a genuine disappointment is "XXX" with Vin Deisel. The music in the movie was terrific. The movie started out with a great pounding Rammstein song. Great start.

But get this, the doggoned soundtrack CD is a two-disc set with all the multilingual nu metal and techno on one disc and all the rap on the other. So you have to pay for two discs, but if you don't dig rap, you have wasted half your money. What a rip off! I didn't buy it.

I hope that is not a new trend in soundtrack CDs...two discs of mostly filler.
  11. SuperFly- Curtis Mayfield

I think he wrote those songs specifically for the movie.
  12. Deffinetley listen to curtis mayfields Superfly. Its by far my favorite soundtrack. Another good one is the one to Natural Born Killers.
  13. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Peter Gabrial's Passion from the Last Temptaion of Christ & Benard Herrman's Taxi Driver are a couple of my favorite film scores. I really like Mark Isham's work in film too.....very understated!
  14. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    If you liked the music in Snatch, try the soundtrack to Ocean's Eleven. It's great.
  15. pulp fiction soundtrack was good
  16. I second Pulp Fiction.
    Batman Forever
    Oceans Eleven
    Blues Brothers
  17. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Bowfinger -Neil Stebenhaus plays groovy old-school funk
    Kansas City -Awful film with great jazz players
    Round Midnight -Dexter Gordon
    Tous le Matins de Monde -great Viola da Gamba (Baroque instrument, like a 'cello with 7 strings and frets!)
    Red Violin -the miming is amazing

I'm sure I'll think of many more. . .
  18. Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels; imo a much better guy ritchie film than snatch and wioth a much better soundtrack.
  19. Jesus Christ Superstar: the original Motion Picture Soundtrack - great lines and melodies.
    Braveheart has a great atmospheric feel, as does the soundtrack from Platoon.

Thank you and goodnight.
  20. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Slaughter's big rip off,Black Ceaser

James Brown