1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Classic or Hi-Fi?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rogerbmiller, Dec 18, 2006.

1. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    I'd like to take a poll but don't know how to set one up so if anyone can help me...

Do you prefer Classic Basses or Hi-Fi basses? Pick one and tell us why.

Just some definitions. I consider a classic bass anything fender, Gibson, older Guild, Gretsch, Hofner, etc.

Hi-Fi includes name your favorite beetle infested topwood custom bass (Fodera, etc) or hi-tech, design forward bass (Kubicki, etc.). Also includes Stingrays and G&L's even though Leo made 'em.

My vote is with Hi-Fi. I have always liked more features vs. less and I like flexibility which I think a bass with robust electronics can give you. For example, my G&L L2K can sound like a J, a P, or a G&L L2K. Oddly enough, I have found myself collecting older Japanese basses which are classic hi-fi's I guess...:bag:

Don't get me wrong. I will always dig the sound of a good classic p bass, but my preference for playing is with more modern fare. And in my experience a nice botique bass will play itself.:bassist:

2. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I'm not sure it's possible for you to edit this thread to add a poll, but when you first create a thread, the option to add a poll is all the way at the bottom.

I'm not sure I agree with your distinction between Hi-Fi and Classic though. I'd put a Stingray firmly on the classic sound side, but that's just me.

In any event, I like having a few very different basses to cover the spectrum, but if I had to choose one bass, it would be one with a nice warm classic tone, but with some clarity. I recently played a Precision with a single Darkstar that I could be more than happy with if I was limited to one bass.

3. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Pretty much agree with what you said, and have similar tastes and preferences (especially for the older Japanese and lawsuit era basses), except that I've gone off the really fancy tops; the most distinctive I have is my Kawai in zebrano. My passive Ibanez Musician and Roadster (my second most played bass after the Steinberger) aren't a modern sound so many of the older CIJ weapons I like are more 'classic' in tone.

4. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Uh, both.

I have a Sadowsky Metro UV70 that's my #1 bass, and a Reverend 'fish that both are classic basses in sound and appearance, and I really dig them both.

I also have a all-composite Steinberger XL-2 that is decidedly Hi-fi and is the one bass I will never sell. It was my main player for 15 years, and I still play it quite a bit. I also have a Stingray 5HH on order. Some day I'd like to get a Dingwall or a Zon.

Mo' basses = Mo' better. I like to have several basses that provide a wide variety of sounds, rather than multiple basses of the same type . . .

I guess if I had to pick, I'd say classic, in terms of passive, old-school looks and sound. I just don't want to have to pick.

5. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

It depends on the type of music you play. I love my Rickenbacker in a good old aggressive rock context, but I'd never use it in a Whitney Houston/Mariah Carey/Celine Dion-type music band, for instance. The MM Bongo, on the other hand, is perfect for that.