1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Classic P-Bass body with a thin "Ibanez" neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wintremute, Jan 30, 2017.

1. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    tl;dr: Other than a custom, is there a bass with the classic P-Bass style body, but with a thinner neck, like the Ibanez SR series?

This past weekend, a friend of mine was checking out my SR300, and was loving the neck. However, he doesn't like the body shape. He likes the classic P profile. He wanted to know if such a bass already exists. I couldn't think of one. Can you?

2. The only thing I could think of would be to build a bass from parts, P body with a Geddy Lee neck. Geddy necks are super thin, but glossy. Im not sure what exists as a production model with a classic P shape and that thin of neck.

Obese Chess and MattZilla like this.
  3. funkinbottom

funkinbottom Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Northern CA.
    Old Ibanez lawsuit p bass, but the neck is more of a p spec neck as opposed to much thinner SR's.

That might be his only option. Perhaps he can acquire an SR neck and have someone like Warmoth rout a P for that neck? Sorry not more helpful, but I got nutin'.

4. wintremute

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Geddy necks are thinner than regular Jazz bass necks?

5. Mechayoshi

Mechayoshi

Dec 7, 2015
    Tennessee
    A charvel model 1b or 2b will have a classic p bass shape but with a very fast neck. The headstocks are an aquired taste though. :p

6. irjason

irjason In Memoriam

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Second the Charvel! Maybe some of those 80's basses would fit the bill too. I remember Ibanez had some basses during that time that had more Fender style bodies and that same headstock design as the Ibanez guitars. I'm thinking they were RG series or something like that.

7. wintremute

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    The SR specs are
    Scale: 864mm/34"
    a : Width 38mm at NUT (1 1/2")
    b : Width 62mm at 24F (2 7/16")
    c : Thickness 19.5mm at 1F (49/64, a shade over 3/4")
    d : Thickness 21.5mm at 12F (27/32, a little under 7/8")
    Radius: 305mmR (12")

The Geddy neck is (according to this post: http://www.tdpri.com/threads/fender-bass-neck-measurements.398530/ )
    Scale: 34"
    a : Width at NUT = 1.526" (38.7 mm)
    b : Width at 12F (not 24F, comparing above) = 2.208" (56 mm)
    c : nut Thickness = .856" (21.7 mm)
    d : Thickness at 12F = .950" (24.1 mm)
    Radius: 9.5"

So, the Geddy is pretty close, in width, but a little bit thicker and rounder.

8. wintremute

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Yeah, I don't think he's going to go for that headstock.

edencab and Aqualung60 like this.
  9. Mechayoshi

Mechayoshi

Dec 7, 2015
    Tennessee
    ^ Thought so.

Question : did he like the ibanez headstock or does he literally want the entire guitar looking Fenderish?

10. irjason

irjason In Memoriam

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    What about a Carvin? I've only ever played one, but it seemed like it had a pretty fast feeling neck.

Keeshman556 and Bugeyed Earl like this.
  11. Yeah the Geddy is thinner then a regular jazz neck. It has to be the thinnest production Fender neck ever made. If he specifically wants a Fender body shape with a Fender headstock and a thin neck I think thats the cheapest way that he could do without having a actual custom bass made.

Some luthier maybe able to take a SR neck and graft wood on to make it look like a Fender neck and then mount it on a Precision bass body, hid the sins of the neckpocket routing with a pickguard.

Then again he maybe able to have a Jazz neck shaved down.

12. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Maybe look for an older Ibanez "Roadstar" or Stagestar Series bass... some of those had pretty Fender-ish looking bodies?

13. wintremute

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    I think they also had thicker necks (than the SR series).

14. wintremute

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    He literally wants a Fender P with an SR thin neck. I'll tell him that if he's invested in the idea, to track down a Geddy neck and put it on a P bass.

15. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    I think the closest you can get, with great quality, tone, and no mods would be the USA peavey fury basses. Very thin necks, great p-bass body and tone. Can be found very affordable as well, huge bonus.

16. ric4682

ric4682 Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Definitely have to agree here. US Peavey's are some of the best bargains to be had and this one seems to fit the bill to a T.

smogg, jchrisk1 and pudgychef like this.
  17. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    What about those Squier P- specials? P body, P/J pickups, and AFAIK a Jazz neck... Was there a Highway One version maybe?

18. wintremute

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    I love the Fury, but I don't recall their necks being SR thin.

19. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I say Musicman Cutlass/Caprice. Aparently not that thin a neck profile as a Sterling but still Bongo-like which is thinner than your usual Stingray 4 string. Also EBMM construction is light years away from Fender IME.

20. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    Not as thin as an SR, maybe slightly thicker than a geddy. It has been a while since I had one, but I have a foundation which has a similar neck profile. Some furies had thinner necks than others. But they are among the fastest necks on a P style bass, perhaps similar to the p special, which has the jazz neck, almost geddy Lee style. Geddy Lee necks have changed over the years too. The thinnest being the origininal limited edition run of CIJ in 1998, though the CIJ production line through the 2000s was the same profile I believe.

Late 80s and early 90s fury you can't go wrong. Mid 90s they cheaped out on the pickups and electronics, but still a solid bass. I have been trying to regain one for a while with bad results because people are hyping the USA thing and asking too much.

scuzzy and smogg like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021